Wednesday, June 13, 2007

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttt...

UPDATE 1730Z: Today is really shaping up nicely for a couple of tornadic supercells. It's one of those days with each hour of analysis looking better as the day wears on. That's a polar opposite of what has usually transpired in 2007. :-) I'm getting excited as I look at the 17z analysis. I think the 1630z SPC outlook is dead on....although I would have extended it down towards Seymour/Guthrie. Anyway, I'm targeting Hollis,OK right now.

That's the sound of the 2007 chase season you hear deflating before us like a leaky old tire. After my pumping up June and putting it on a pedestal above May, it too is finding ways of destroying potential setups. The air is always being let out after pumping it up. Those cans of "fix-a-flat-pattern" aren't working.

With July 1 lurking around the corner signaling the traditional end of chase season, I'm going to try and take advantage of any decent little setup that comes about. Today is one of those setups. The SPC has the E TX PH, NW TX and W OK in a slight risk. Interestingly, the pattern is similar to a cold core setup as defined by Jon Davies. I said "similar", not "identical". ;-)

With the nearly stacked upper low meandering around the N TX PH today and a weak front crawling around the area combined with moderate instability and pretty good veering profiles, it's a setup worthy of a chase. In fact, with the way 2007 has deprived us SDS patients, it's akin to a glass of water to a person dying of thirst in the Mojave desert. Drink up! :-)

After today, the upper low meanders around the area for a couple of more days...round and round it goes....where it stops, no model knows. So, at least some convection will be around. And with upper lows, there is always the potential for a little surprise.

The crystal ball is teasing us with some possibilities next week as the ridge never really establishes itself, but keeps WNW and NW flow aloft with a low level upslope flow on occassion. These setups are always ones to keep an eye on each day. The June 2 event is evidence of that.

Ok...gotta get to work. Will update later.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should be a bit ahead of you getting on the road but am going to target mostly SW Oklahoma. from I-40 down to the Red River looks primed for some nice storms. I will probably head down 287 and cut across from Memphis as we talked about earlier. Hopefully our cingular coverahge is better than last time since we have antennas. Will be leaving around 130-2pm.

Wed Jun 13, 12:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger David Drummond said...

Man, am I ever glad I had some work to do and stuff was already firing by the time I got done. Saved myself a ton of gas!

Plus, last night my laptop decided to die completely so that would have sucked on the road.

Thu Jun 14, 02:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Lanny said...

Hey Steve...got my new blogsite up
http://OutlawChasers.com/blogger/
thought you might want to updat your link to my blog site. I am still working on it. I will still be posting on the "dog pound" with Randy and the rest of the outlaws from time to time but this will be my new blog.
Hope you take time to check it out.
Lanny

Fri Jun 15, 07:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Steve, feel free to use
Pudge as your "offishull" mascot. AS he is terrified of thunder. The perfect mascot. And what is this I hear about a "Rick"ster scale measurment in S Ga? Thats just wrong...LOLOL!!!

Fri Jun 15, 08:28:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Made me laugh. I actually met Randy in Murdo, SD, last week. I took a picture of his shirt. It made me laugh.

Fri Jun 15, 09:35:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Lanny,

Tried to add that link, but getting the GoDaddy parking page. Not sure what the problem is. However, I will update that with the new link you sent me.

Rick,

Pudge is the official mascot for the 2007 season! LOL!! Look for his debut appearence around July 1 as I mark the end of my chase season. The "Rick"ter scale? That is the chaser dance meter, of course! As in "ChaserDance: Lord Of The Chase". :-)

Dew,

I'd love to have one of those shirts or a cap! :-)

Mon Jun 18, 10:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Sweet! LOLOLOLOL!! Chaser Dance Meter??!! ROTFL!!!!

Tue Jun 19, 11:45:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

The shirt was awesome!!!

Wed Jun 20, 08:43:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home