Monday, May 08, 2006

5/5-7 Wrap Up & 5/8 Forecast

EDIT: Added picture links below:

May 5
May 6
Enchanted Rock Park

Despite Saturday's setup going to crap, I was able to intercept a good storm near Llano where I caught an weak elevated funnel. The storm itself had latched onto one of the many boundaries around and actually exhibited some rotation. The NWS at San Antonio were even mentioning that the storm could intensify and produce a tornado. I could see from my SW vantage point that the LCLs were on the ground and could make good mesocyclonic rotation. Unfortunately, road networks shut me down...including a dirt road completely inundated by rapidly runing water. I did head back west near Mason to London and caught a nice mini-supercell there with decent structure. Complete pics from 5/5 and 5/6 coming this evening if I'm not chasing....more on that shortly.

I stayed in Kerrville overnight and trekked up Hwy 16 all the way to I-20. this is one of the most scenic and interesting routes that take you through the heart of the hill country. This took me by Enchanted Rock State Park which I had read about, but had never visited. I went and checked it out. WOW!! That's really all there is to say. I strongly encourage anybody interested in a very cool and unique place to visit, especially if you have any interest in geology, to do so!!! It is the second largest geologic dome in the continental US and is unique by it's formation. The link above explains it more in detail, but it is absolutely a sight to behold in person. I hiked about 2 miles round trip before the drizzle got too heavy making things a bit treacherous. I've got lots of cool pics that I'll also post later tonight. I plan on going back gain soon when the weather is decent and I've got a free weekend. It's awesome!

To the forecast....

Today is yet another day where the models just can't handle the subtle details critical this time of year. The only place I can see within range to chase will be along the Red River Valley around the Lake Texoma vicinity. An OFB from morning and ongoin convection is now showing up well on satellite as well as surface analysis. Strong instability and decent vertical wind profiles argue for nice supercell up there...likely on this side of the Red River. That is of course IF one can develop up there. The jury is still out on that one. If it does, it could easily be a "surprise" event. We'll see.

Tomorrow is looking alot more potent for tornadic supercells from N TX into S OK. More on that tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home