Monday, May 05, 2008

Caprock Two-Step - Step One

LIVE CHASE PAGE WILL BE RUNNING!

A quick note on my live chase page. I've got the severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings overlayed on the GoogleMap now. They have been working great with the severe stroms this morning in KS and S TX. Along with radar and my GPS position, you will have excellent situational awareness all in one spot while you track my position and watch the streaming video. Hopefully, I'll be able to put something in the viewfinder other than rain. :-)

I'll be heading out later today. Target decision is a tough one, but going with the 1630Z SPC discussion seems prudent at this point, albeit a large area. I'll be watching things progress and refine my target as the day wears on. However, I am eying Clovis, NM for now. The outflow boundary up in SW KS has my attention too. With forecast WNW flow aloft parallel to it with SSE flow at the surface, that needs to be considered as well. However, the RUC tries to crater the dewpoints just E and SE of there below 50Td, and that has me spooked. Thus, I'll stick to my target area.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that the RUC is forecasting 60Td to make it into the extreme eastern reaches of NM south of Clovis by 00Z. This isn't your typical 60Td you'd see in OK or N TX because of the higher elevations. It would be more like 70Td there as an equivalent. With good backed flow up to 850mb (almost the elevation of E NM) with strong veering up at 700-500mb, the storms should spin quite nicely. Marginal winds at 700-500mb should produce some HPers though, so any tornadoes will be difficult if not impossible to view as they will get wrapped in rain quickly. Still, this should be a good show today!

Tomorrow looks even better than today. Stay tuned for the second step of the Caprock Two-Step!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home