Sunday, April 27, 2008

4/26/08 Report & Pics

First of all, my apologies to all those who were trying to access my live chase page most of the day Saturday. My hosting provider finally responded and fixed the problem just in time for the chase. Rest assured, one more major problem like that and I'll be switching hosts. If anybody has any solid recommendations for a hosting provider that will support JBoss server, please let me know.

In any event, I had a fun little chase on the cells around Post and Jayton. Myself, David Drummond, and Jason Boggs enjoyed a nice little show including some pretty decent lightning. These were really nice storms considering dewpoints in the upper 40's.

Earlier, while I was sitting south of Lubbock, I was treated to a really great dust devil show. I've seen my share of them, but these weren't the garden variety ones. Several of them were intense, multi-vortex devils. One in particular had distinct "mini-tornadoes" inside the main circulation. Hence, multi-vortex. I've got the video to prove it. I was even live-streaming these dudes too. I hope somebody got to see them. :-)

I also got to see a big advantage of using amber lights. With David in front of me in a blinding rain/hail storm with his amber lights flashing, I could not make out his vehicle nor red tail lights at any appreciable distance. I could though see the ambers quite clearly. So, for the amber lightbar police out there, pull your head out before you suffocate. I'll be putting some on mine very soon.

The cellular amp worked great and I only dropped video connection about 3 times during the chase, but was able to instantly reconnect. I was pretty impressed. David served as a bit of a guinea pig as he was right behind me running the same data service without an amp. It was a convincing side-by-side comparison. My live chase page was reportedly working very well too. I've got a few things to tweak on it, but I'm pretty happy with it after the considerable effort put into it.

Overall, I'm technically in good shape as we get into May. I received the new Jotto desk and will intall that in the next couple of days. The only equipment problem I need to work on is a sticky mic switch.

Okay okay....pictures!!!!












8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful pics!

Mon Apr 28, 09:03:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed them! Now, if Ma Nature would ever get the moisture and dryline back up on the caprock, I promise to take more pics. :-)

Tue Apr 29, 10:29:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really jealous of the next to the last photo. That meso with the lightning is amazing!

Tue Apr 29, 03:56:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I thought you got a couple of lightning pics too Jason? That next-to-the-last one is where I was doing the little dance. :-) It's my first good lightning photo op in almost a year!

Tue Apr 29, 06:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steve, wonderful pics, is there any chance you can provide full versions? By all means, watermark them, but I love to add them to private screen saver collection.

Wed Apr 30, 08:11:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Those pics rock, Steve! Great work. I am totally jealous!

Wed Apr 30, 10:07:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..I never seen those kind of photos before they are amazing..Cloud formation at it's wild with lightning bolt..very attractive to look at..Marvelous photos..

Fri May 09, 07:47:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Jeff,

Thank you! :-) I am going to be working on a nice screensaver of some of my better images very soon. Watch for the announcement soon!


Dew,

No place like W TX. :-) I thought you were due for a chasecation this year? Either that or move out here. LOL! :-)


Liveweatherman,

Thank you for you gracious comments. I am glad you enjoyed them! :-) I was stunned too watching the storm evolve like it did as well as us having a great vantage point. Too often , it doesn't work out this well. I'm happy it did though.

Sat May 10, 11:16:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home