Sunday, July 08, 2007

H2O Overdose

I spent a couple of days this weekend with the folks around Whitesboro, TX near Lake Texoma. For only the third time since 1944 when the lake was impounded, water crested over the spillway. The two other times were 1990 and 1957. The lake is officially 20 feet above normal. It is quite an incredible site driving around the lake and observing all of the flooding.

We drove down one road and came across a vehicle recovery effort. I walked down and chatted with the folks there and met the driver and his wife. They were driving at night and came up on the flooded roadway too quick and took a plunge. They got out ok, but the car was totally submerged in about 10-15 feet of water. A diver was out preparing to hook the chains up to it. I was quite shocked to see that the country had not put any barracades up to prevent such an accident.

We also drove around and saw one unfortunate lake-front home owner pondering the water lapping up against the corner of his living room. It was a really nice new house too. Unfortunately, it is a pretty bad way to figure out that whoever performed the survey, or the builder who read it, screwed up. All of the other houses still had a few feet to spare. Other than that, it looked like marinas were the hardest hit with a few storefronts and restaurants flooded. The ones making out like a bandit are the fishermen. :-)

To stay up to date on the action-packed thrilling "spillway-cam" on Texoma, check out http://kxii.com. :-)

I've been battling a second round of gout this past week too. I had it a couple of years ago. As soon as it came on, I got to the doctor and got some meds. So, it's been pretty tolerable for the most part except for limping around alot and not being able to wear a closed-toe shoe on the right foot. Today it finally seems to be going away. If you don't know what it is, google it. It really does redefine the word "pain". ;-)

I'm also lookging forward to seeing Rush at the Redrocks Ampitheater in about 4 more weeks. Unfortunately, my buddy Brian who planned to go can't because of new job committments. Glenn is saving up vacation for an Alaskan cruise. So, I still have one ticket left for anybody that wants to go. The concert is August 8th. Any takers? Send me an email.

As far as the weather, some interesting setups are appearing on the horizon for the TX PH this week as a front settles down into the area. Maybe...just maybe we can get a landspout setup. :-) We should at least see a couple of opportunities for severe storms. This should help quell SDS a little while longer. ;-) I'm hoping to get a chase or two out of it close to Amarillo. The whole week promises to be active in the high plains area. The oppressive summer ridging has yet to setup shop. I love it!

Have a good week everybody.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rain has been relentless!! I have never seen anything like it and I have lived here all of my life! Maybe the NTX Curse has moved somewhere else!! LOL!!

Funny you mention gout, Mine flared up on Friday so I know how you feel brother!

Mon Jul 09, 01:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Cherry extract...

So glad you replaced that other post. So glad!

Mon Jul 09, 03:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Wow. If the models are right, then another mandering upper low/shear axis sets up shop later next week across TX again. They just had another round of bad flooding a few days ago. My mom said that 75 in Sherman was shut down again.

I drank some cherry juice and LOTS of water which seemed to do the trick. It only lasted a week and was only bad for about three days. Getting the anti-inflammatory meds at the outset helped too. Gout really sucks. Hope yours, Brian, fades away quickly. I'm amazed of how many people don't even know what it is. I always crack up because they think it sounds like a contageous disease and step away when I tell them. LOL!!

And, yes, Dew, you're welcome. LOL!! I think that joke had an unintended effect on some folks. ;-)

Sat Jul 14, 10:34:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller said...

If the tickets up for grabs are for rush limbaugh, I'm in!

Tue Jul 17, 08:42:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Rush the band. ;-) If Rush Limbaugh comes to town, I'll buy those tickets too! That or Ann Coulter. ;-)

Wed Jul 18, 12:13:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UDHZQJ The best blog you have!

Thu Nov 01, 09:05:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home