Friday, March 30, 2007

Today & Beyond

UPDATE 2000z: It is actually snowing right now in Amarillo...although mixed in with the rain. Not too far to the NW and W, it's all snow. I love it here. :-) For the potential today further into the heart of TX, I'm thinking the renewed tornado threat will be down closer to I-10 as areas further north are worked over and already going squally along the front. The North Texas Curse is alive and well I see. :-) However, with a little clearing slot extending up ahead of that line approaching from the west and such strongly backed low level winds, I would expect to see some embedded tornadoes in that line. For something more chaseable, it looks like my earlier thoughts about Junction or about 50 miles N of there might verify. I'm liking that particular spot for later today.

Looks like a pretty good even shaping up for S and SW TX into my old home area of N TX later this evening. A few tornadoes are likely. However, it will also be a huge precip-fest too. This causes concern about the placement of the front/boundary and could keep it further south than the NAM forecast...and which the early RUC is advertising. For me, it is too far of a drive with such possibilities looming that I might have to drive all the way to Junction. I'm not in that much need of a grudge-match chase to make up for my recent string of missed opportunities. :-) Plus, the hours of driving in continuous heavy rains isn't my idea of a good chase trip. I'll wait for the months ahead for many other good opportunities in my neck of the woods (or more accurately....tumbleweeds). Best of luck to those making it down there.

After today, that very annoying east coast trough sets up again and this one is going to be big. It will be around for a while. This spells a temporary shutdown for chasing in the plains and in fact, a taste of winter will return starting later next week. It really appears that we'll have to wait until the middle of April for things to make a shift back to favorable upper air patterns. That sucks. There might be an opportunity or two next week though before the pattern changes for the worse. I'll keep an eye on it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

Resorting to chasing tumbleweeds...? Uh oh, your SDS is bad, Steve.

Items chasers chase when the set up just isn't there...

* JG - Dust Devils.
* ST2 - Trees.
* Dew - the sun...
* SM - Tumbleweeds...

So, the SDS treatment facility... padded walls? Or just lots of bathtubs with strong suction in their drains...?

~Dew

Fri Mar 30, 08:49:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Nice! I sometimes just chase my tail...hence the nickname. ;-)

The SDS treatments centers have several rooms or "chambers" customized to severity of a patient's SDS. So, yes, some of the rooms are indeed padded with a sleeping-gas injection system for emergencies. Some of my staff threatened to lock me up in that room and turn on the injection system full-blast. :-)

As mentioned in our brochure, we had to discontinue whirlpool therapy because a few near-drownings as patients attempted to observe the vortex underwater. However, we recently renovated that room similar to the large Killer Whale viewing tanks as Sea World. We turn on the vorticity generator full blast and patients can now safely view the vortex to their heart's content...at least until the time comes for their other therapy. Sometimes we have to resort to extreme measures to break their deep trance and get them to move. Don't ask.

Since the clinic and treatment center is run by former rehabilited SDS patients and yours truly along with Dr. Dixon, you can be assured that your treatment and experience cannot be matched anyplace else. After all, we were the first to identify SDS, it's symptoms, causes, effects and treatment. We are THE leading experts in SDS.

So, when shall we schedule your appointment? ;-)

Fri Mar 30, 02:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Glad to see you didn't include yourself in the rehabilitated group...

Appointment! Are you kicdding, me? You said SNOW! I don't do snow! There's a reason I'm in South Georgia and it's not for the severe weather chasing prospects... obviously. I can't tell you the last time I saw real snow, falling and accumulating, and I like it that way... Perhaps, schedule something for me in May... then, maybe I can do some sight-seeing while I'm out there. ;-) Something in the multi-vortex variety.

~Dew

Fri Mar 30, 04:52:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Yeah, but it will be 68F today and 80F Monday. that's why I love living here...it's a weather weenie's dream. :-)

May and June are the best therapy times out here. I'll make the reservation for you. If tornadoes aren't the order of the day, there are in fact alot of interesting sights and things to do in the PH. Palo Duro Canyon Park is pretty cool as is the museum in Canyon.....just for starters.

Now I got to find something to blog about for the next couple of weeks at least as the big, mean upper cyclone and trough overtakes the eastern half of the CONUS. But, lets get it out of the way now for the rest of April righ ttthrough July :-)

Sat Mar 31, 02:01:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Trust me, when I come out to the plains, I'll be hunting tornadoes... not canyon parks and museums... Show me the rotation!

The weather sounds similar to that in Boston. If you don't like the weather, just wait. Definitely a good place for weather weenies... ;-)

~Dew

Sat Mar 31, 08:24:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

LOL!!! I hear ya. But if 2007 suddenly turns out to be another 2006, those canyon parks and museaums are about is exciting as it gets. ;-)

Let's hope not!!

Mon Apr 02, 07:04:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Well, it's certainly off to a great start out that way. If March 28th was a taste of things to come, it might be kicking this year... Of course, we thought the same thing about our March 1st event and nothing has happened since. We're launched right back into a solid case of depressing SDS.


~Dew

Mon Apr 02, 08:47:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home