Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'm an idiot


I managed ONCE AGAIN to successfully avoid a major tornado event. I was in perfect position to get on the raging tornadic cells in the SE PH. Instead, I got suckered by some exploding towers off to the west and followed them as they lured me further and further away to the point that it was too late to backtrack. The cells that kept trying to pop were LP storms that were strongly sheared along with being a little more moisture starved. They never got their act together and were racing off 50-60mph to the NNE. I did manage to get into a left-moving tornado-warned storm in Hutchinson county and saw a good rotating anti-cyclonic wall cloud on it's NW side which also showed up nicely on SRV scans. Other than that, I really got suckered again royally today. I was actually sitting south of Amarillo by about 10 miles and had ample time to get into the tornado melee. But, I didn't...I gambled and got burned big time.

I just talked to my friends Matt Patterson and David Drummond who were all over those tornadic cells. They lost count of how many tornadoes they caught today with every shape and size along with simultaneous satellite tornadoes to boot. So, HUGE congrats to those guys for one of those lifetime chase events. I can't wait to see their video :-)

Unfortunately, in speaking with Matt, he got caught between tornadoes with no escape route and had to endure a brutal pummeling of hail up to softballs and possibly larger. He lost a windshield and severely damaged his VX2100. Fortunately, he's ok. If you must endure that kind of punishment, what a helluva way to do it. :-)

Anyway, I hope to get out of my slump and quit making stupid decisions. Believe me, they are etched deeply in my brain now. Experience is a harsh teacher sometimes, but always makes you abit wiser in the long run....I hope! LOL!!!

On to tomorrow....and the rest of what appears to be a wild season ahead.

11 Comments:

Blogger Glenn said...

Dude. I pulled up SpotterNetwork.org at 6pm when I got home - I couldn't find you, I was looking all around the cells south of Amarillo. Then I saw this little icon in Dumas! WTF? LOL You may need a StormShrink!

Wed Mar 28, 11:02:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Yeah, I got suckered bad by a pulsing LP cell all the way up there. I just *knew* it would get its act together. It actually did up in the OK PH though after I gave up on it. At least technically I got into one tornado warning there in Huthinson county. :-)

StormShrink indeed. He'd tell me the same thing...don't be so stupid. LOL!! On a day like today, I should have made an immediate beeline to the first severe cell.

I'm seeing some amazing video on the local news here just now. I think I'm going to go drink heavily ;-)

Wed Mar 28, 11:12:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Chasing Hans said...

Sorry to hear about your woes. I have a feeling there will be plenty of chances, or "do-overs", this spring. Hope to see you out there.

Wed Mar 28, 11:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks Hans :-) And congrats on your big time catch....and escaping the onslaught of monster hail. I'm looking forward to my "do-overs" as well and hope to see more of the Tulsa gang out this way. 2007 is looking pretty good so far. :-)

Thu Mar 29, 06:43:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller said...

Matt, you're holding out on us - when did you get a VX-2100?

Thu Mar 29, 09:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Bummer... You'll catch the next one. ;-)

~Dew

Thu Mar 29, 09:54:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, in the middle of the melee I got a txt message "Are you chasing with Steve Miller?" LOL I begged ya to come to Plainview. :)

Thu Mar 29, 07:17:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thank ya'll. With your support, I think I can make a full recovery. It's too early in the season to submit myself to the Tailchaser SDS Treatment Center. ;-)

Thu Mar 29, 07:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

David...next time, use a 2x4 and whack me instead of begging. I think it will be more effective next time and I'll thank you for it afterwards. LOL.

Thu Mar 29, 07:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Definitely too early in the season, but I could use a dose or two of supercell therapy.

Many more storms to come. Poor guy.

Thanks for the visit, Steve.

~Dew

Thu Mar 29, 10:07:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Glenn said...

I was the one who sent the text message to you David. I was sure your SpotterNetwork software had a glitch since Steve was showing to be driving around aimlessly staring at puffy clouds, instead of with you under the TAIL END CHARLIE he had been talking about all day. 2x4 indeed!

:o)

(sorry Steve, it's part of the therapy, ya know)

Fri Mar 30, 08:41:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home