Saturday, January 27, 2007

Amarillo Countdown

Everything is a go for move day. I locked in a 2/2 apartment with 1079 square feet. That should accomodate my junk...barely lol. After considering and looking at rent houses and condos, I went with an apartment because of the cat and 6 month lease. That is plenty of time to settle into the new job and gives me time to look around and wait for the perfect opportunity and jump on it without having to wait a year on the other property types. Besides, rent houses are pretty thin in Amarillo and most everything available is in a bad part of town, junk, or way out of my price range.

It's in a very quiet part of the complex which is nestled in a realy nice neighborhood in the SW part of Amarillo and plenty of trees for shade and importantly on the first floor. I also have reserved covered parking very close to the door. All of this stuff is important when you get to be an old fart. ;-) The floor plan is good and overall the best choice out of many apartments I looked at. It's also an older complex when they used to build them more solidly compared to more "modern" ones. This helps on utilities AND peace and quiet. But, they are well maintained and acceptable for my temporary needs. Oh yeah....only $760/month. LOL! A similar apartment in DFW is easily more than $900.

The 8-10 inches of snow that had previously blanketed Amarillo was pretty much intact when I first got there. Main streets were good after being plowed. Side streets were packed solid and abit tricky. Thank goodness for front wheel drive. What amazed me was seeing the huge mounds of snow piled up everywhere in the various parking lots. Some were 15 feet tall. It's a real logistics problem in dealing with that much. Still, they seemed prepared for it. Since I'm about 10 minutes from work, it's not a problem. :-)

I got a good chance to tour Amarillo as well...even went to the mall there. I was impressed by all the popular chain stores there...everything you want. Just about every popular restaurant chain is there (including Hooters! Yeah!). I felt like I was in a mini-Plano...without the obnoxious yankee attitudes and personas. Instead, politeness and common courtesy are the rule rather than the exception. Nobody is trying to run over everybody else in traffic or the parking lots. Every single clerk or public-facing person was very nice and friendly....with the exception of a couple. No place is perfect. :-) Still, it's like night and day between DFW...which is something I knew but reinforced solidly now.

Maniac drivers and road rage is non-existent there. 98% of the time, everybody is driving patiently and doing things like using their turn signals and not running red lights. Rush hour? ROFLMAO! There ain't none except on a few main streets which compared to a Dallas street at 2am. I-40 doesn't even get "heavy". I was running around during "rush hour" morning and evening and it was very hard to tell. :-)

I also got a more detailed look at the economic growth planning up there. Generally, it is forecast to be a slow, but solid, steady growth. The city is already planning for 10,400 residents in the NW parts of the city in a 20 year span (that can happen in a couple of months in Dallas). This includes roads and infrastructure. Gee..."planning" what a concept! lol!

Entertainment? Well, the Blue Man Group is playing there February 15th! LOL! I'll be there if I can get tickets and find somebody to go with. They have Larry the Cable Guy coming and a host of other performances. They have a healthy cultural arts center with opera, symphony and theater on a regular basis. So, for those saying there is nothing to do in Amarillo aren't looking very hard. If your entertainment is more of the Gentlemen's club variety, there are definitely some there. One I saw was called something like the "Jungle Club" and the way it was decorated outside was the siren's call to come inside for sure.

So, down to the final packing and prep for the move next Friday...loading up the truck Thursday. My folks have volunteered to oversee the cleaners and painters after I depart which is going to be a HUGE help. I love them. :-) being realtors, they'll help with selling and closing it. Right now, the housing market is hot in this area. So, I'm confident it will sell quickly. The important thing is that next Friday, I will pull out of my driveway headed for Amarillo with DFW forever in my rearview mirror. Priceless.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now you won't have to pay the "fee" to be allowed to chase in West Texas! LOL

I loved AMA for the short time I lived there, but we're still just down the road. Don't forget Big Texas for those steaks and there is a great Mexican food place along I40 there. Graham and I are going to have to come up and check out the Miller Motel! LOL

Welcome to the laid back life!

Sun Jan 28, 06:30:00 AM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

LOL!! I'll have to practice flashing the gang symbol of the West Texas Banditos...similar to my homie from Tulsa:

http://tinyurl.com/2zl9o6

I'm going to love living in Amarillo and the Panhandle in general. It has always held a special place in my heart even as a kid. The storms there are just icing on the cake for me...but always the best part of any cake. LOL!

You are right about the food...there is no shortage of eating establishements there. If on the west side looking for a great, full meal, try the Furr's Fresh Buffet on Soncy Rd on the north side of I-40. I was impressed. of course, the Big Texan is a great steakhouse despite it's touristy persona.

The Tailchaser Motel is always open to my homies for data or a stayover. Bring beer. :-)

When I get around to getting a boat, probably in 2008, I'll have to stop by on my way to Alan Henry Reservoir SE of Post and pick you up!

Sun Jan 28, 03:51:00 PM CST  
Blogger David Drummond said...

I was just thinking you were going to have to come down to LAH for some fishing sometime this summer! We can rough it from the docks if we have to!

Most of the time I spent in town there was on the west side, since we lived out south of Bushland there. Best part of AMA. There on the SW side you got quick access to that loop which quick access to either Interstate and out of AMA for a chase. McCoy lives up there too, so we all need to plan a get together once you get moved and settled in a bit.

Mon Jan 29, 07:56:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller said...

Don't think for a second that we Tulsan's haven't been checking flight costs and rental car rates out of AMA. What a convenient opportunity for a weekend chase!
Glad you are moving out there - - - for the betterment of your life - and ours!

Thu Feb 01, 04:29:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Dave, I definitely plan some fishing trips down to LAH (this spring as a matter of fact) to find some big mamma bass. I have a fishing float tube :-) We'll definitely have to scout out some camping areas there.

As far as you Tulsan's are concerned, you are welcome as long as you pay the "storm access and observation fee" as dictated by the West Texas Banditos stormchaser gang. I understand there is a payment kiosk at the TX/OK border at I-40 and the airport. LOL!

I'm bursting at the seams in anticipation of this upcoming storm season. No more cussing the North Texas Curse. Just driving out west of town yesterday and along the 335 loop inflammed my SDS quite severely.

So, keep your bags packed and Southwest Airlines and Hertz on speed dial. The Tailchaser Motel will be open with two beds, an air matress, and hi-speed data. I should by that time have my own personal reserved booth at Hooters :-)

Thu Feb 08, 10:45:00 AM CST  
Blogger Glenn said...

Dude - will you quit sayin' "my homie from Tulsa" ??? That's just so gay...

ROTFLOL

Tue Feb 13, 02:23:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Ah, you do not understand the chaser gang wars my sheltered suburbanite yuppie friend. :-)

Tue Feb 13, 07:42:00 PM CST  
Blogger Glenn said...

Chaser gang wars?

What, like if you catch a Texas chaser on your Oklahoma turf you have to teach him a lesson?

LOL

I'm picturing a lone chaser setting up his camcorder near a fence. Suddenly a rival chaser's van skids to a stop, several chasers spill out, looking menacing, brandishing rolled up graph paper and USB cables.....

"Hey you, yeah you, Texas Tailchaser. Are you lost? I thought we told you about chasing on our turf!"

Wed Feb 14, 03:37:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home