Thursday, January 11, 2007

GOOD RIDDENCE DALLAS!!! HELLO AMARILLO!!!!!


YEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAWWWWW!!! WOOT! WOOT! I'm getting the hell out of DFW!! I'm moving to Amarillo!! And no, I'm not nuts. ;-)

I've been trying to get out of the DFW are for awhile now. I've been waiting for the right opportunity and the right time to make it happen. But, what about the big career change from a year ago? Well, it's a long story, but a typical one of how corporate lunacy is counter-productive to actually getting things done...as well as a harsh deterrent to logic, reason, sanity and common sense. It is at it's worse when it comes to IT. I could ramble on about this, but a book that I just read puts it in the best, cystal-clear perspective that I've ever seen. Even if you are a non-programmer, it's a good read...."The Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World". Written by Christopher Duncan, who has several great articles that anybody dealing with IT should read, it absolutely nails the problems of IT functioning within the corporate world.

I felt relieved to know that others out there share my same observations and perspective. It also helped me to fully admit to myself that as a professional programmer and analyst, I do not do well within a big corporate environment where personal career agendas, politics, inept management and marketing/sales drives everything. I've been an IT professional for 10 years now. I've seen more than my fair share of failed or POS projects and applications. There is a common thread amongst all of those failures which I'm faced with now.

The problem is, my objective failure analysis concerning the major project I'm on now is being ignored. It is headed straight for a large iceberg...full speed ahead. I've pleaded, begged, and screamed about the impending disaster with a course of corrective action to avoid it. But, no, the big iceberg is the intended target and there will be no deviation. The bridge isn't listening to the concerns from the navigation room. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Ramming speed Mr. Sulu! LOL! That's the dramatic abbreviated version of my current situation. ;-)

So, it's time to abandon ship and set a new course. In my new gig, I'll at least be on the bridge where I'll have some input on steering...as well as a clear view of what lies ahead. :-) The captain on the new ship listens to his crew. There's a little more risk but with much better near and long-term potential. I know I'll be much happier because I'll actually be able to get things done without having to slay Moby Dick every time I turn around. One thing is certain, a career within a large corporate behemoth certainly isn't working out very well for me. It's time for a change.

By going to Amarillo, I'll be getting away from the festering armpit of Texas called "DFW". I'll be getting more back to my roots and personal values as well. I've always felt more at home in the Texas Panhandle and West Texas more than anyplace else. I was born west of Lubbock and that red sand still runs through my veins. People are very friendly and laid back compared to the DFW residents in general. Things are alot less hectic and stressful comparatively. In Amarillo, you're never but a few minutes from being in the middle of "away from it all".

The cost of living is certainly less as well. I've been looking at some places online that offer about the same amount of house plus an acre or two of land out in the country for the same price. With taxes more than half of what I'm paying now, it's an even better deal. :-) Plus, I'd be no more than 20...and at the very most 30 minutes from work if I really move out aways. No horrendous 1-2 hour one-way commutes staring at the back-end of another vehicle while crawling along. That has a significant impact not only in job satisfaction, but your sanity.

For recreation, the mountains are only a 4-5 hour drive west. I can make a weekend trip to cool off in the hot summer and make a few ski trips during the winter. The great Palo Duro Canyon is just down the road where I expect to spend alot of time exploring and doing photography. With an international airport nearby, I can make a quick getaway to wherever...and all without the massive headaches and hassles of DFW.

I can do a little recreational fishing and water stuff at Lake Meridith (if it doesn't dry up! lol) or for some really good bass fishing, Alan Henry Reservoir isn't too far away with about a 3 hour drive SE of Lubbock near Post. I've never fished there, so I look forward to spending alot of time exploring and getting to know the lake. It's a "Lake Fork" of the west with some serious lunker bass in it's waters. I hear rumors that the night fishing there is awesome. That means a boat is again in my future. :-) I'll have to stop by and pick up my fishing bud David Drummond as I pass through Lubbock. ;-)

Of course, the weather weenie in me certainly won't be bored. Some of the wildest weather on the face of this planet frequents this region. From snow storms and blizzards to powerful supercells, it has it all. It certainly ain't gonna be boring! My stormchasing hobby will certainly benefit the most. I won't have to deal with the large, expansive "DFW Metromess", trees, hills, or the Red River. I can work to 5pm, jump in the car, drive a few miles, play with a tornadic supercell, and make it home in time for dinner and some great lightning photography opportunities.

I can catch the supercells rolling off the Raton Mesa and even catch storms in E and SE CO with an easy 5 hour drive or less. With my tornado and storm counts going up, maybe I'll become an exhalted member of the stormchasing cult showered with praise and adorned with accolades while hoisted upon an ivory pedestal. But, don't worry....it'll never happen. The high priests of stormchasing issued a decree banishing me into exile last year. ;-) Seriously though, I'll really look forward to tangling with some powerful and beautiful supercells this season in my backyward. Maybe I can save some vacation time and money to do some other things I enjoy. With my luck though, all tornadoes and supercells will be deflected 500 miles away from the Panhandle region for the next decade. LOL!!

OK...time to start packing and getting the house ready to sell. I'll update as I go along and let ya know when I'm settled.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Man, with friends like this.....LOL.

You are just seething with jealousy, I just know you are! HA! You and Dixie are still invited up anytime to chase supercells, go to the mountains, or whatever. :-)

Seriously, the cattle lots are alot more bearable than sucking in the exhaust fumes of thousands of vehicles in front of you and whatever the hell is in the brown haze that hovers over the skies of DFW. Have fun with that. ;-)

Sun Jan 14, 09:43:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least cow manure is organic and wont give you a wheezing bout of lung disease. Get back to nature. Amarillo and other places like it are in God's country.

Sun Oct 14, 12:32:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me feel better about relocating from Missouri, where we have lots of green trees and green grass, to the plains of Amarillo! I was feeling a bit depressed about leaving my home state, but you've pointed out some positive things for me. You did forget to include the benefit of not living in sweltering humidity!

Thu Jul 10, 10:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Ahh yes!! The low humidty levels, generally, make summers here very pleasant at night. I've seen it 100F during the day and in a couple hours after sunset, it be pleasant.

There are some little outdoor nightspots around town to take advantage of. Check out the newpaper.

The cool thing to do is the outdoor drive-in theater. It's nice and always shows the latest movies...and two in the same evening!

We have some decent concerts every now and then. The symphony orchestra here is really good from what I've heard.

There really is alot to see and do here, you just gotta look for it. The newspaper is great.

I hope you like extreme weather though. LOL!!

Fri Jul 11, 12:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

oh....and NO fire ants! That is a real treat too when enjoying outdoor activities. :-)

Fri Jul 11, 12:12:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home