Sunday, November 02, 2008

That Little Ol' Band From Texas

Jay McCoy and I rocked out to ZZ Top in Amarillo last night. These guys still have it!! This was the last night of their tour..to end it where they call home (although they live in LA last I heard..lol). Nevertheless, this state is where they got their start. That's why they've always been known as "that little ol' band from Texas". In fact, I grew up on ZZ Top's music and love it today as much as I did as a teenager...just a few years ago. ;-)

So, it was quite a treat to FINALLY get to see them live for the first time in my life. The venue was the Amarillo Civic Center where we had floor seats....on top of the iced hocky rink! LOL! They of course had placed some thick "jigsaw" flooring on it, but it made for a chilly start. I've never watched a concert before sitting on top of a giant ice cube. That's another thing on my list of todo's in life checked off. :-)

The opening act was a southern rock band and they were okay, but the sound sucked. It was too loud for such a venue. Aa a result, everything sounded garbled and blended together due to excessive phase cancellation and just plain too loud. It was extremely difficult to make out even which chord they were playing, much less differentiate instruments...even the drums! This concerned me with ZZ coming up. But, huge kudos to their sound crew as ZZ Top hit the stage, the sound was excellent for such a challenging environment. It rocked! Whew!

They played their hits along with a couple of vintage songs that I bet few in the audience had heard of before. They were great tunes though. They even payed tribute to Jimi Hendrix with their version of "Hey Joe" which was nicely done. They ended the concert with an encore performance of "LaGrange" and "Tush".

At one point during the set, they stopped between songs and grabbed an album cover from the audience. All three sigend it while making a big deal over it and gave it back to the woman who was pretty emotional about it. The audeince loved it. What a helluva gesture for the fans.

Overall, a great concert! Here are a few pics from my camera phone:



















Dig that awesome drum set! Jay and I contemplated a way to "borrow" it for awhile. ;-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great concert. One of the best I have seen in years. I can see why they are in the hall of fame. What caught me by surprise is the makeup of the crowd. Ages ranged from close to 70 all the way down to 4 yrs old. Multiple generations rocking to the jams. Had this dad istting next to me who brought his 4 teen daughters and about 6yr old son who all jammed and screamed the whole time. Dad was rocking harder than all of them..lol

Sun Nov 02, 10:40:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home