Monday, May 19, 2008

Palo Duro Canyon

Needing some serious, relaxing R&R, I took a spontaneous trip to Palo Duro Canyon this past Sunday. Nothing personafies the Texas Caprock as this place does. They've got some nice campsites, hiking trails and some very cool, old cabins built many years ago when the park was being built. I'll definitely be planning an overnight stay at one of those pretty soon. I've always wanted to do some lightning photography around this majestic landscape, and if I'm lucky, it would afford me the perfect opportunity to do so. I might even get to record some of the famous flash flood events there as well.

So, with that little intro, here are some pics. I'll start off from the visitor's overlook. The distant plateau to the left is about 3 miles away.



Notice the little cabin on the right side...perfect for some lightning photography. :-)


Popular with bikers. I tried to bracket this for perspective, but not quite what I had hoped for.




I had to "hike" a half mile to get this shot. Another half mile back and I was ready for about a gallon of water. LOL!


My arch nemesis up close and personal. :-) Although these are wild turkeys, they weren't very skittish as long as I sat still in my vehicle. I desperately need to get a good lens for this type of photography.




And lastly, I saw this shot on the FM road leading out of the park. I couldn't resist. Some better lightning on this would make it more artsy fartsy. Maybe next time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived here for 15 years and I have never made it down there. Thinking it may be a good day trip next year for the kids, my butt isn't hiking anywhere soon! It's looking good that I might be able to get out and chase this weekend so I hope to see you soon!

Tue May 20, 01:02:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Great pics, Steve. I'll need to add it to my list of places to go.

Wed May 21, 10:39:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Maybe it's time to embrace your inner turkey, Steve....;-)

Wed May 21, 01:44:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palo Duro is truly a majestic place. I think it rivals the badlands in South Dakota personally. It was one of my favorite stops to take pictures when I drove over the road. I'd drop the trailer somewhere and bobtail to the canyon for a half day or full day of R & R.

Thanks for the reminder of all the good times!!

Jim C

Wed May 21, 11:43:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Glenn said...

I'm usually chasing or running away from a storm when I go through there. I have been through there once for a brief sight-seeing tour, but we didn't stay long.

Oh, and have you considered a teleconverter for your existing lens? Oh, wait - what is your lens length now? Mine is 420mm equivalent + 1.7x teleconverter. I can actually identify birds better by taking a picture than I can using binoculars!

Sat May 24, 01:20:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home