Monday, May 14, 2007

The Dog Days Of.....May? (and some pics)

I am simply stunned by this morning's model forecasts. Without looking at the calendar, it looks more like an upper pattern you'd expect to see in July. A storm/jet track across Canada and the northern plains with very weak winds across most of the county including a strong ridge is not what May should be like at all. This is more astounding to me after such a crazy and wild upper air pattern into the first few days of May.

I keep looking out 10-14 days ahead, and there just doesn't appear to much hope at all for chasers south of the Dakotas. Parts of Texas might have a couple of shots as the weaker subtropical jet still resides pretty far south this time of year. But, most of the action looks to stay in the southern half of the state....well out of range for me since I can't take a chasecation this year because of the new job.

So, with the rest of May looking pretty much hosed, what will the traditional Memorial Day weekend into the first half of June hold? Well, by about May 27, the super-long range GFS keeps trying to move a big trough onshore to the left coast by then....but forecasting a very stubborn ridge and upper air pattern remaining stagnant. Pretty pitiful. yeah, I know, it's the GFS and that far out can't be trusted. But, I've found in the past that it seems to have an uncanny knack for being accurate with ridging. It did well with this current pattern we are in about 10 days ago.

There will still be alot of unsettled weather though as weak impulses meander around in the weak upper flow. But shear will be pitiful resulting in pulse/multicluster stuff. A few boundaries will also meander around to provide a focus. So, it's not impossible to get a few severe storms, but the majestic supercells we are accustomed to seeing in May are going to be a rare beast indeed...except if you can travel to the Dakotas or Minnesota.

So, once again, the "official start to chase season" sputters and dies before it gets going. I'm not sure how many Mays in a row this makes of an extended "drought" for stormchasers. That's why I always consider the official start of March 15th with a May climax. :-) Regardless of the calender or official decrees, I always chase when I can. You just never know what May will hold....and the past few years, it hasn't held much compared to March and April. Maybe I should have taken a few more days off in those months, but I was convinced 2007 would finally be a year of a normal May. LOL!! Ma Nature can be such a cruel jokester.

In the meantime, here is what a poor stormchaser does under a July-ish upper air pattern...my trip down to the Lake Texoma area to visit the folks this weekend. I'll do abit of Photoshop on the later to get the best quality out of them, but thought I'd throw them out for a gander.

Just north of Vernon.


A couple of Longhorns appreciating the aesthetic beauty of a sunset.


Transcendental Longhorn gazes into the sunset.


"Hey, you be messin' with my sunset meditation, man!"


I really need a macro lens, but this ain't too bad. Getting the little critters to sit still long enough is the trick. I glued this one's feet to the feeder. Just kidding!


A Kodak moment of a week-old miniature horse colt.


Wild flower explosion near Saint Jo, Texas. Wildflowers as far as you could see.

Labels: ,


23 Comments:

Blogger Wayfarer said...

No storms to chase?! Welcome to my world...BTW the Rick curse has been solved. As soon as Dewdrop left to go to Orlando, we had some awesome storms! Yes there is a connection here!

Mon May 14, 10:30:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

You know? I think you might be right! :-) I think "Dew" is Latin for "no storms". LOL!!

Yeah, I'm going to need to prepare the SDS Treatment Facilities for a massive influx of patients. I hate this upper air pattern...particularly since I see no hope on the horizon. We might have to start a TV miniseries for chasers: "Lost: The Upper Air Void". :-)

Mon May 14, 10:33:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have got to stop looking at the pathetic GFS. I am going to break you of that nasty habit soon. It has been flopping all over the place all year. Look at the ECMWF if you want any kind of reality. It has very consistent with breaking down this pattern early next week with a good 10 days of good air patterns and a huge trough over the western US giving us once again great chasing. The GFS has also shown this every few runs but then goes back on crack and ridges us again but the european has stayed consistent and is the only model that has been mostly correct all year..

There will be some chasing going on starting around the 21st through the end of the month.. bank on it.

Mon May 14, 10:43:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a very interesting read from DDC from yesterday. Talk about digging deep for a forecast.

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KDDC/0705131934.fxus63.html

Mon May 14, 10:50:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Well, I hope you're right Jay. It's not a nasty habit...but based on looking at all availalable long range model "trends" along with NCEP discussions. The ECMWF is generally in line with the GFS through Day 7. Extrapolation beyond that corresponds well with the GFS solution through Day 14. At that time (12-14 days), it is being very stubborn with allowing the west coast trough to come on shore. Hopefully it is on crack and the trough does progess more onshore and brings back the mid level winds to the plains. That is still towards the 24th.

We have already been in a very unusual extended pattern of anemic flow aloft. It thought the GFS was on crack last week for this week's forecast. It's verifying quite well. Yeah, it flopped a couple of times, but it's overall general trend was correct. I'm seeing the same generalized trend out to 14 days. It has been pretty persistent.

I agree some chasing will be had, but it is going to be a daily needle/haystack (likesly southern portions of TX or the Dakotas/Minnesota) and likely along some sort of boundary.

After the front tomorrow, it is going to take awhile to recover sufficient boundary layer moisture for really strong instabilities to make up for weak flow aloft.

Some interesting links:

Preliminary Extended Discussion: http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/preepd/preepd.html

Final Extended Discussion: http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdepd.html

I know ya'll are going on chasecation this week and I hate to see such a dismal forecast and being pessimistic. I call it like I see it. :-)

Ya'll will get some good chases in, but the models are for the Dakotas/Minnesota or the southern half of Texas. I do see some uplope events for CO/NM, but without some mid level winds of at least 30 knots, they won't do much IMO.

If I'm wrong through the 24th and we end up getting a decent swath of 30 knot or greater 500mb winds across the central/southern plains (other than southern half of Texas..which I've been saying would happen), I'll wear a bright pink shirt on the next chase day. :-)

Mon May 14, 11:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Wow! That DDC discussion is indeed an interesting one! They are indeed digging quite deep, but even said a few weeks...earliest being week 2 for a significant pattern shift. That's what I'm talking about. Did I read that right?

I also see where they are inserting a "climatological chance" of storms in the 7 day period for the possibility of a STJ ahead of the slowly approaching west coast trough. That's an extreme long shot in my opinion. None of the models are showing that yet...as far as across the DDC CWA.

But, I'm all for any hint of signs of hope. I'm now in Amarillo and just chomping at the bit for things to crank up. I just hate to see our window of opportunity for chasing narrow each day as we progress towards July.

I keep hoping that this bad dream melts away with the next round of model runs. I've seen it happen before. :-)

Mon May 14, 11:19:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know enough to comment about your weather stuff but those are some awesome pictures.

Mon May 14, 11:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks, Dawn. :-) I'm glad you liked them. I'm just glad the big Longhorn didn't come through that fence. My car was parked aways. LOL!

Mon May 14, 01:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Hmmmm....12z GFS is hinting at something Sunday for around these parts with a very very small speck of 30 knots at 500mb. Could this be a trend?

Also, Nebraska is looking better for 21/22.

I might start picking out a bright pink shirt. LOL!!

Mon May 14, 01:10:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never give up. With this season being as active as it has been you cant just shut it off totally that quickly. There may not be any major outbreaks but there will be good chase days the last 2 weeks of may. Especially around memorial weekend as usual.

Cant wait to see you in Pink!! Maybe even a flower in your hair:)

Mon May 14, 01:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Ah yes...The Dance of Chaser Merryment" as he prances through the field, longhorn in pursuit! This quickly changes into :Lord of the Chase"-Bovine edition

BTW..We live and die by the NAM and GFS here in SW Georgia..

Mon May 14, 01:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I'm just practicing reverse psychology on Ma Nature. :-)

I would love nothing more than to be wrong and have to wear that pink shirt one day. Flower in my hair? Jay...I'm starting to worry about ya buddy. LOL!!

I'm confident that by Memorial Day weekend, things will improve though overall. June could be quite the chase month. Still, you gotta admit, this is another dismal May we are experiencing.

Mon May 14, 01:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

ROFL Rick! LOLOL. I can't top that one. [applause] :-)

Mon May 14, 01:30:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C&B Steve...C&B ROFL

Personally guys, I am happy for a break here. I am STILL worn out from that 6 days of marathon chasing!

Mon May 14, 02:13:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

You old fart! :-) Maybe we need to start a health program for middle-aged chasers? Similar to SDS treatment, we take away the chase vehicles and replace them with bicycles and paint a hatched tornado threat about 10 miles down the road. :-)

Mon May 14, 02:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Ouch!....David? You going to let that go unchallenged? ;-)

Mon May 14, 02:50:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Cat fight!! Hold on, gotta go get the popcorn :o)

Mon May 14, 04:28:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Definitely Latin for something... I can't believe it... both times I left town are the only two times in the past two months that it has rained. Ma nature sure does have a sense of humor... Let me know if that reverse psych works before I am banned by the storm chasing community here (Rick)... Save me a spot at the facility... Need Mesos...

Mon May 14, 04:38:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

... oh, and please don't use ridge and June in the same paragraph. I won't hear of it! Oops, I just put them together in the comment... Think trough! PLEASE! My one chance. I can't scare this one away! No one will ever want to chase with me.

BTW, killer pics! Love them!

Mon May 14, 04:41:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for quiet.. Nothing severe but a great litle cluster moving through right now tih some heavy rain and all kinds of lightning. Tornado warnings in Colorado at this moment also. By next week thinsg will be going wild :)

Mon May 14, 10:17:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

And how!

AT 942 PM MDT...A TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTER REPORTED A TORNADO...
PRODUCING DEBRIS...ESTIMATED TO BE A LITTLE NORTH OF THE BRISTOL
AREA. THE SEVERE STORM PRODUCING THE TORNADO WAS CENTERED NEAR
LAMAR...AND WAS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST AT 10 MPH.

Mon May 14, 10:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

So, how would you have chased that with convection all over the place? That's what I mean by needle in a haystack. :-)

But, given a boundary and strong instability...anything can happen even with 20 knot mid level winds. Jarell comes to mind. I also watched a tornadic cell sit almost on top of San Angelo for over THREE hours one time. Mid level winds were only 20-30 knots if I remember correctly...but it was on a strong, stationary outflow boundary. I remember the 3-hour precip total radar image was also a hook! LOL!! This was years ago...wish I could dig that up.

Mon May 14, 10:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

That supercell was May 26, 1998:

http://www.stormtrack.org/library/archives/stsep98.htm

http://home1.gte.net/txt/coolimages.htm

Those are the only 2 things on the internet I could find....and all by me. The NWS-SJT had a page on it, but took it down years ago.

Mon May 14, 11:24:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home