Monday, April 30, 2007

Storm Control Report

Chased after the larger cell near Plainview...and of course it died as I got there. It was looking good on radar too and just knew it was going to produce at least a funnel cloud. Hung around there and got suckered by an exploding updraft which quickly turned to mush. I of course was in the vicinity. ;-)

Finally picked up anchor and proceeded east towards Turkey (the town...not my feathered victims) where the updrafts were quite vigorous and regenerative. Awesome structure. I wish I had gotten there sooner as the updraft bases were hugging the ground. I saw a hook on radar a couple of times and some weak rotation. I can't help but think that there was a brief spinup or two as there ain't hardly anybody in that area to see them.

I punched the core and got east of it. Watched rapidly developing lowerings and agitated scud within the notch. I saw some weak low level rotation on radar everytime it happened....was interesting. At least, I didn't instantly kill the storm...it took awhile. I sense a reversing trend. :-)

I was glad to see that my forecast verified at least a bit. There was a landspout for 3-4 minutes 10 miles NNW of Earth in Castro county at lunch time. I could see the updraft from Amarillo while I was at lunch. The Gaines county cell produced a tornado too. There might have been a couple of more as I mentioned above, but went unseen. Yeah, I know...if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound? ;-) Still, some pretty nice storms overall. I think the lack of a good boundary hurt today. I sure couldn't find one.

While sitting near Estelline trying to get a lightning shot, a couple of good ol' boys drove up and stopped to chew the fat for awhile. We talked about recent storm events and I showed them radar of the incoming storm. They even offered me a beer. :-) Have I mentioned how glad I am to have moved out here? ;-)

I got some pics, but nothing really worth posting. What about the structure shots I took?Well...ummmm...the iso was set at 800, so everything is just a tad overexposed. Ugh.

I'm not too excited for Wednesday as it appears the good stuff will be well out of range for me. Still, the vortmax is aimed on Amarillo, so might be some structure stuff. The big show looks good for this weekend and the GFS appears to finally be swaying towards the ECMWF. Stay tuned!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

I have an idea for you, Steve... try using reverse psychology... instead of keeping track of intercepts, you can start keeping up with the systems you kill... the storms folled by your trickery, might just stick around to spite you... little do they know. ;-)

Tue May 01, 10:54:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sloshing dryline across western TX for at least a week or more. Fun things are in store for us buddy!

Tue May 01, 11:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Hey Dew, that just might work! I'll try that later this week. :-)

Speaking of which, David, how 'bout that 12z GFS run, eh? I'm popping a storm woodie already. LOL!!

Tue May 01, 12:27:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I am about as happy as a horned toad in a red ant bed about the coming situation!

Tue May 01, 06:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

That is indeed one happy horned toad. ;-)

Wed May 02, 09:08:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see I40 has been closed due to flooding in AMA....what's the word Steve?

Thu May 03, 01:13:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home