Monday, May 07, 2007

Big Blog Update

The major news of course is the tragedy at Greensburg, Kansas. The 1.7 mile wide beast obliterated the small town of about 1500. Ten people lost their lives. This tornado will certainly be added to the dark pages of history along with Hallam, Jarrell, Moore, and Wichita Falls.


PLEASE DONATE TO THE RED CROSS


If you haven't already seen the aerial photos of Greensburg, you can view them here.

However, even in the worst tragedies, the human spirit and heart rises to it's highest level as people rush to help and offer whatever aid they can muster. Surrounding communities and first responders don't even wait until they are called...they simply react. In a world today overflowing with selfish indulgence and total disregard for others, it is moving to see such an outpouring of aid and assistance. I thought this illustration by Richard Crowson of the Wichita Eagle was perfect:



One of the notable heros in this event is Mike Umscheid who was manning the DDC radar at the National Weather Service office. He tracked the storm and was issuing the SVS tornado emergency warning prior top the storm hitting Greensburg. Read his account here. No doubt his warnings saved some lives as well as getting the word out quicker that Greensburg had been hit hard which got the first responders heading there quicker.

Team MESO was very instrumental in their efforts as first responders. They really made a huge difference from their accounts which you can read: Account One and Account Two. What an incredible story. I stand and applaude their efforts. These guys are the real deal despite being ridiculed and outcast from the stormchasing community not too long ago.

Some other stormchasers pursuing the tornado were ahead of the first responders in offering some aid and assistance. Dick McGowan, Darin Brunin, Derek Shaffer and Dan Robinson were some of the ones that searched for and assisted victims. A tip of the hat to you guys. Read Dick's blog report about it. He also has some video clips as well.

This event should serve as a reminder that it is a good idea to learn first aid. After my experience with the Anna/Westminster tornadoes a year ago, I finally got off my duff and did it. Being in a situation like that and not knowing what to do properly is a horrible experience. I carry boots, jeans, rain suit, spotlight and heavy gloves at all times now. I need to get a good first aid kit as well and just haven't done it yet. It's easy to put it off until an event like this happens. Plus, by knowing how to perform proper CPR is a good thing because of lightning too. One split second can turn a fun-filled chase day into one where your chase partner is struck by a CG.

Something I'm reminded of as I watch TWC coverage, one of the biggest things some of the residents there will want help with are recovering personal items. A great volunteer effort somebody can take is searching outside of the Greensburg area. It's a massive effort and one often overlooked. Just start out from "ground zero" and work your way outward. With such a violent tornado, stuff could end up many many miles away. Most of that will be paper items likely already destroyed by rain. But, closer to Greensburg, some more valuable items will likely be found...like photos. You have to be careful though as you might be perceived as as souvenier hunter (another reason to go do this to help prevent that), so be prepared to be confronted. It wouldn't hurt to check in with local authorities first. The reward though is finding something that one of the victims would cherish....it's all many of them have left.

The meteorological aspect of this event is certainly going to be a case study. I'll be sure to post some links in the future as these studies come out. I'm sure there will be plenty. In the meantime, this was a classic setup synoptically in addition to the surface parameters. I discovered an EXCELLENT synoptic and mesoscale study of violent tornadoes by three NWS meteorologists Chris Broyles (AMA), Richard Wynne (AMA), and Neal Dipasquale (LWX). Click on that link above for some serious forecasting weeniness. I discovered this by reading Brian Lovern's (VAwxman) blog that analyzes the Greensburg event with the same parameters. I highly recommend it.

This weekend also produced one of the most amazing and intense chaser video I've ever seen of a close encounter with a tornado. Since words can't describe it, go experience it for yourself and watch Joel Taylor and Reed Timmer's wild video. I've watched it several times myself. It is going to be the #1 video at the Supercell Deprivation Treatment Center. :-) I can't help but mention how the stormchaser police aren't saying anything negative about it either like they did a few years ago with David Drummond's close encounter and Randy Hicks and crew last year. Amazing how one event changes everything. ;-)

I also got to witness one of the most stunning and incredible tornadic supercells on Friday. It was nothing short of stormchaser's wet dream to witness something like that. For me personally, it was the perfect storm. I wish I would have had a wider angled lens to capture all of it as well as been a tad further north to get more of that awesome vault region. But, nevertheless, I feel quite fortunate to have been able to witness it...especially after my terrible fiascos this season.

As this week winds down and gets boring, I'll have time to really work on those pics to get better detail and color out of them closer to what I remember seeing with my own eye. I might even play with digital art abit with it and see what happens. I'm going to review all of my video as well and post some captures. I'll also include what I can get out of the 5/5 Vici night tornado encounter. The trooper's reaction after escaping it's clutches is priceless.

I also have a few other pics to post later as well including a "truck/boat" or as David Drummond called it something like an "Amphibious Stormchasing Vehicle". I'm sure we'll come up with some cute names for it and welcome all ideas. That'll post later this week.

Lastly, I've got two antenna adapters coming for my GC83 card, so I'll be able to run cellular internet again and my beloved GR3. I found out just how bad it sucks without it.

For the extended outlook, it ain't looking too promising beyond some central/south/east Texas chasing the next couple of days. I am watching for the possibility of an upper low moveing across the TX PH around Thursday. But, beyond is looking terrible. The GFS is even trying to spell doomsday for chasing well into the last week of May. Given the history of the past few Mays, it is certain to cause alot of anxiety in the chasing world.

However, as Bruce Haynie said many years ago, "Those who live by the models, die by the models". The GFS has been pretty erratic beyond Day 7 and flopping quite abit. The ECMWF, which has done extremely well this year as usual and often totally ignored by quite a few long-range chase forecasting, is indicating some hope in about 7 days as it tries to energize the subtropical jet to punch in and smack the ridge. It is also less aggressive with the east coast troughiness. I likie that. ;-) So, we'll see. At least it will give residents of tornado alley some time to recover peacefully.

That's it for me...for now.

Labels:


34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said about the Greensburg disaster and the need for chasers to be first aid trained. As a trained first responder I always carry my BLS (basic life support) bag and other emergency equipment and Kanani has EMT training although not currently certified she also knows what to do. I applaude those guys for helping and Mike U for giving such a heads up warning so early. Not only a tornado warning but a tornado emergency. Not many NWS folks will go out on such a limb to post such a serious language. He saved alot of lives. Good job DDC!!

The video from Reed and Joels video is insane anmd incredible. Not sure if you noticed Steve but that is our Arnett tornado just from the other side and much closer. Shows size doesnt matter cause the rotation and violence of this thing was wild. I am glad it stayed over open country. It would have done some serious damage if it hit Arnett. Looking at the video I estimate a strong F2 at least. What it did to that tree was amazing. 1 it nuded all the leaves and the other it ripped out of the ground.

I also ordered an antenna for my cingular datacard. This one is big.. a 40" 11db gain magmount. If i cant stay connected with that them they can have the card back..lol

Mon May 07, 10:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I added a link to Mik U's blog where he writes about his experience. Can you imagine the pressure he was under?

That Reed/Joels video is nuts and quite amazing. I recognized the tornado and that we were right there prior to escaping the hail. That's why I want to get a new vehicle with pre-existing hail damage on it so I won't have to worry about getting cored (except for the windshield of course) and thus out of position for closeups. However, in this case, the entire structure was just as impressive..at least to me. I don't regret it one bit.

I thought that tornado had a small "Pampa" personality. What a driller! I have no doubt that it will have some great scientific value as well if it is allowed and acknowleged...know what I mean?

Man, you need to get me the details on that antenna. That sounds awesome! I'll also be considering a booster for next season too.

Tue May 08, 11:51:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I just read MESO's account. WOW! What a critical role they played with and as first responders. I included it in my blog post.

Tue May 08, 01:21:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ta but they are really lucky they didnt end up part of the scene. Punching a tornadic core from the north at night even after multiple reports were coming in about it being a large wedge was a bit careless if not purely stupid. I give them much cudos for helping afterward but their chasing choices need to be better thought out. From what I have read and saw of their report they were actually caught in part of the circulation with winds of about 100mph!!..

Tue May 08, 03:39:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Very well said, Steve. I am always touched to see how communities draw together after disasters. It seems to bring out the humanity, that is completely lacking in everyday life. All in all, you have created an excellent account of a powerful weekend. Well done!

Tue May 08, 07:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Jay,

I agree that they were indeed lucky. Who knows if they had radar data problems or not. We all know how confusing and chaotic it can get in the heat of battle.

I believe technology is actually becoming a modern day siren call luring chasers in ever closer with a growing level of complacency. One glitch in that technology, and you find yourself in a tornado.

When David and I were closing on the tornado near Vici this past Saturday, I was watching radar like a hawk and making damned sure that our cellular connection didn't die like it had frequently that day. But, we also made sure to stay to the south of it too. :-)

Tue May 08, 09:37:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks, Dew. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the stuff I put together. I'm sure there will be some outstanding case studies and analysis from the NWS-DDC and many others in the scientific community. I'll keep posting what I or others find.

Tue May 08, 09:40:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BY the way Steve I dont know the exact card model you have but here is the store I bought mine from on ebay. They have antennas and adapters for many models. Ofcourse the bigger the anenna the bigger the Db gain which is why I went with the 40". Not bad prices

http://stores.ebay.com/CellGear-USA

Tue May 08, 11:04:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Steve, on one of the links there was video of a tornado approaching a home. A guy walking across the front yard like nothing was happeniing while this monster was right behind him, heading for their home. It side swiped the house where they were at, but then they ran outside and around their home as this thing was about 80 yards away. With debris flying past them they were filming this thing mowing down the neighborhood. To me (IMO) it was one of the most dumbest things I have ever seen someone do. Now the question. With tornados being put on TV almost everyday, are people becoming lured into sense of the storm not being dangerous? Is it all about getting the most extreme video? Dont get me started about the chasers who were under a forming tornado and filmed it. sooner or later(probably sooner) these people will get the most awesome footage ever shot, but it will also be their last... Just my input. Not chaser hatin...;-)

Wed May 09, 09:04:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Jay, I think that is the very store I got my adapter from. I'm curious as to which antenna you got. The 40" ones I found are 11dB gain. The Wilson Trucker ones (like I have) are 32" tall with 10-15dB gain. I plan on getting a 5 watt booster for next season too. That is of course awaiting your field test of the new technology first. :-)

Wed May 09, 09:39:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Rick, this is always a sensitive subject. :-) I think everybody can agree that purposefully getting directly under a tornado or let one approach you dangerously close is asking for trouble and not considered sane. But, I consider it their perogative to do so including getting killed. As I always say, I just hope MY video camera is rolling to capture the event. ;-) Then, EMS personnel like yourself have to pick up the pieces of them afterwards of course.

But to go to the extremes that some in the "stormchasing community" do and have done in the past to try and personally destroy an individual for doing so is way way out of bounds.

What is even more ridiculous to me are the "concerns" that it is going to result in some sort of legislation (totally ludicrous) and makes us look crazy or like a bunch of thrillseekers. The general public already thinks that anyway about us just for driving TOWARDS severe storms. We are indeed thrillseekers and no amount of semantics or public posturing will change that. I'll proudly call myself one as well as an adrenaline junkie. Stormgasm indeed. :-) I think the same thing of skydivers, race car drivers, bungee jumpers, rock/mountain climbers, etc. They're all dangerous pursuits and result in an adrenaline rush. Why should we consider ourselves any differently?

But, back to your points. Yes, I consider purposefully getting into a tornado extremely dangerous and a deathwish. Stupid? Well, they make a ton of money off it, so that could be considered smart. ;-) I'll also make a point that some tornadoes behave quite well and allow you to get up close and personal. That one on May 4 was one. It's still no guarantee though as there is still an uncomfortable level of unpredictability with ANY tornado.

I think that extreme video though was very cool, but also that they were in the path of it. They were very very lucky. I've seen tornadoes make little sudden jumps before...enough that it could have easily ended up on top of them in a split second. That I think was a stupid decision on their part. The smart thing would have been south of it and track it northward. But, alot of people would consider even getting within a half mile of it is stupid...others a mile....still others anywhere within 10 miles (as some law enforcement personnel and alot of the public think).

My main point in all of this rambling is that everybody's perception or definition of "stupid" varies greatly. Nobody is right or wrong...it's just an opinion which correlates with what we personally would do.

The more you chase and encounter tornadoes, the more confortable you get in getting ever closer each time. Of course, as you pointed out, such video and "hype" that the public sees also increases their comfort level. It definitely reduces the fear/respect level pretty significantly.

However, I'll also argue that images of the Greensburg devestation as well as close-up video of a tornado doing damage with violent debris fields will also serve to INCREASE the public perception of just how dangerous and destructive they are. I've had more than a few poeple make the remark that they knew tornadoes were bad, but seeing some of the violent up-close images on video drove the point home. The infamous Pampa video comes to mind.

In fact, some of the more distant images of tornadoes that present an asthetic and graceful image might do more to increase the public's complacency (along with non-verifying warnings..another topic for another time). I mean, "look at that pretty tornado". :-)

OK, enough rambling on this. I just wanted to shoot out some various angles of perspective on this whole thing. For me personally, I'll keep my respective distance from a tornado with an escape route always a open. If the opportunity arises to safely close in on one ("safely" being my own personal judgement call based on experience and why I chase solo most all of the time), I'll certainly go for it. I also know that I'll be considered "stupid" for doing so...by somebody out there. And that's ok. :-)

Wed May 09, 10:23:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll add that having an escape plan as you begin a close approach, like we did the other night, is critical.

Wed May 09, 11:07:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which is one reason I prefer to team chase with only very experienced when I do hopok up with others. Guys Like Steve and david have been doing this as long as I have and I know they know whats safe and what isnt (even though david has a knack for danger finding him) so I dont have to worry about babysitting them. we can all take care of ourselves and if we have to bail quickly and lose contact i dont have to worry about them.

About the getting close argument. What I do see more and more isnt the chasers doing dumb stuff as much as regular citizens who have seen the videos and try and shoot some themselves. Either by standing outside their house when they should ne taking cover or by actually jumping in their car and trying to follow the real chasers.

Last week in Arnett, ok as we came through town with the sirens blaring and the tornado about 2 miles SW of us half the pople in town wre standing outside looking or shooting video. The other half were in their cars driving around looking or following chasers. Sooner or later a tornado is going to go through a town with everybody standing outside and its too late to run for cover.

Wed May 09, 11:37:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

I have to agree with what you say. From your perspective you are right. Every person has the right to get themselves killed. There is so much more to the politcal scene out there. We have none here. (For now) I guess there there various levels or categories of stupid. Well count me in then! ;-) So, does this mean safe and stupid? LOL! Next question...If you have to many stormgasms, do you go blind? ;-)

Wed May 09, 11:55:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

I will add again, that I didnt mean to offend anyone by my rant. I stand enlightened by the Great, All knowing and all caring Maja Steviod!! Now...send me some weather. Andrea aint gonna do it fer us.

Wed May 09, 12:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

No sweat, Rick. My opinion is just one of millions, but I like to express it. :-) Fortunately, everybody here can discuss this stuff without getting all bent out of shape.

Healthy discussion always helps me to see others' perspectives and viewpoints. Sometimes, as a result, I even change mine. And sometimes, I can be as stubborn as a mule. LOL! As long as there is an effort on everybody's part to try and be respectful and not be easily offended (and forgiving too!), then we can tread through such "minefield" topics without casualties. ;-) These things need to be discussed as they are indeed very important. Too often in the chaser world, such discussion quickly turns into a pissing contest and wars are started. Nothing is accomplished.

So, I know I'm not offended at all by anything you said and am quite appreciative that you said something. I don't think anybody here is offended either. You made some great points, especially with the public. After all, if people didn't do stupid things on a regular basis, you wouldn't have a job to do in patching them up. LOL!! I think one can also be safely stupid too. :-) Heck, I was stupid back in March and April missing the tornado fests. That was a new level of stupid...a 2x4 kind of stupid. ;-)

In the end, everybody should be able to agree to disagree and go chase storms together and have a few beers. Right?

Maja Stevoid? ROFL! Nice one. ;-) As far as too many stormgasms and going blind? I hope not!! I can tell you that it does cause some mental problems though and a masculine voice altered to that of a 12 year old girl. LOL!!!

Wed May 09, 12:58:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Jay,

You're right about the public now getting into the mix of things which is what Rick was getting at. Thinking back, I do remember seeing more "citizen chasers" out there. What is more disturbing is that it's the whole family...kids...dog...grandma...Uncle Fred.

Car/truckloads of local teenagers are showing up alot more too. I see them on the side of the road as I pass them looking all around at the storm obviously not knowing what they are gawking at. I had a group of three approach me Saturday wanting to know what was going on. They were very polite and respectful. I was cool about it and gave them an update...that I was heading home. LOL!! Still, I can't help but think back when I was that age doing the same thing. Look at me now. ;-)

In the end, there's really nothing we can do about it except to try and educate and be polite in dealing with them...especially if they are following you. That to me is the most stressful part of a chase is having a distracted, awe-struck, inexperienced person driving right behind you on your bumper. It's why I try to go low-key as much as possible and haven't had a problem of being shadowed.

As far as everybody in a town running outside to see the tornado, it is a problem. But, living in a truly free society, you can only go so far in trying to protect people against themselves. You can only educate and warn. After that, they are on their own.

That's why there are the Darwin Awards which really epitomizes "stupid" in it's purest form with the ultimate consequence of a quick and permanent exit from this world. Come to think of it, maybe somebody can come up with Darwin Awards for chasers. :-)

Wed May 09, 01:16:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

I have to admitt it..I would have been listed as a recepient of an award years ago..Shhh..Dont tell anyone. LOLOLO!!! Sadly there is video (which will never see the light of day)at my home.

Wed May 09, 01:37:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

LOL!! Maybe we need to have Dew go on a secret mission to uncover this video? ;-)

Wed May 09, 03:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

The President paid a personal visit to Greensburg today. Although alot of it was for photo ops and PR, he did spend time with residents and consoled some of them offering words of encouragement. I'm sure it helped boost some spirits around there today.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070509/D8P12FUG0.html

Wed May 09, 03:34:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DM said...

Where is this video up close of Greensburg at? Anyone have a link?

Wed May 09, 10:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

What are you referring to? The one Rick mentioned? That would be interesting to see it. :-)

Wed May 09, 10:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DM said...

Yeah, the one that Rick was referring to. I can't imagine anyone getting extremely close to it and being able to film it steady. The RFD on it was violent and we all know how strong the circulation was.

Wed May 09, 10:23:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Maybe he'll dig that up when he comes back on here.

In the meantime, TWC is showing video of chaser Eric Duncan and a few others digging out people from the rubble. Sobering.

TWC also showed a before/after image of Greensburg using google maps. Stunning. It really gives you an accurate perspective that there is no exaggeration that the whole town is wiped out. It's amazing that the casualty rate wasn't much much higher.

Wed May 09, 10:37:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

This story was just posted on wx-chase. It's very moving.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18570402/

Wed May 09, 10:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DM said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZRkK-gLmnE

Dan Robinson's video.....he has us in there talking about the victim. I wish this shit would just go away, it's getting to me.

Wed May 09, 11:39:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Hey, wait a minute, how was I brought into that one? ;-)

I bet Rick's video is buried under Rick's non-alcohol containing Heineken box... sure, whatever you say, Rick.

Thu May 10, 09:28:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Dick,

I can't imagine what it's like for you. It's the biggest tornado disaster story in years and you were in the middle of it. Is it just the media hounding you? Or is it post-traumatic? Or Both?

I've read about similar emotions of rescuers and first responders. Maybe Jay or Rick can chime in here more about that and the best ways to cope with it. I would think talking to somebody else about it who's been there would help. Eventually, everything will settle down and get back to normal.

I had a taste of that last year (posted the link of my account on this blog post). I didn't have the media attention though like you guys have had. Still, I went through a real downer period afterwards.

By chance, I stopped at a Chick-Fil-A in McKinney one morning where they were having a rally to raise donations as well as honoring the first responders. A bunch of the fire fighters from Anna were there as well as the Collin County Fire Marshall. We spent about two hours talking about it and sharing stories/accounts. That was a tremendous help in alot of ways.

I don't know if any of this helps in anyway, but I hope it has. What you guys did was commendable not only for your actions, but the balls to have done it.

Thu May 10, 10:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Dew,

Well, you seem to be quite the resourceful type. I figured that you could coax him into seeing it and then snatch from the VCR and run like crazy! :-)

Thu May 10, 10:11:00 AM CDT  
Blogger David Drummond said...

DM, you know I went through a VERY similar event in Hallam, NE..... if you need to talk to someone that's been there and knows what your going through, you know how to get a hold of me.

Thu May 10, 05:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

The tornado I was refering to (The one with the guy walking across the yard with it behind him)? That wasnt Greensburg..sorry. I will try to dig it up this weekend.

Fri May 11, 02:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Cool, Rick! Whenver you get time. I know you got to cram for the exam retake next week. Best of luck on that one.

I do remember some similar "citizen" video. One of the most dramatic and abit funny was May 27, 1997 (the Jarell Day). It was a smaller tornado that spun up in a neighborhood (Deer Park I think?). The guy in his house filmed the entire event as it slowly moved over his house. Eventually, windows were blown out and some trees snapped (all on video!). The whole time, he was as cool as a cucumber and kept repeating "Ain't that somethin'?" in a classic Texan twang. ;-) It was some pretty awesome video as all of the debris was spiraling straight up.

Another one I remember is an older clip in 8mm....I think back in the 70's. The guy is filming the tornado ripping stuff apart as it approaches. You see a building get demolished in front of him and the video abruptly ends just as debris is flying around him. You are left to surmise his fate.

There are a few others, but wanted to throw those two out there with special note on the time gap.

Fri May 11, 03:37:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

As for dealing with the "after event"? It is quiet except for an occasional scream that you will never forget. People calling out names, asking you to help and you go willingly. Nothing can really prepare you for what you may see. Grevious injuries, the dead, the list goes on. It will stay with you. It is part of the darker side of our passion for weather.

Fri May 11, 05:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY4_EJUyQfg&mode=related&search=

Try this .This is the tornado video I had mentioned. (Contains rough language.) If this link doesnt work I will try again.

Fri May 11, 05:58:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home