Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Forbidden Sacred Dance Of Chaser Merriment!!

Man, today is the first day of May. Everything is green everywhere in Texas (think evapotranspiration!). I took a stroll at lunch and all of the familiar smells and sensations of spring are in the air. All plant life is in bloom and all the trees now have leaves. For this stormchaser, these sensations are deeply rooted with memories going back even to when I was a small boy growing up in North Texas in the peak severe weather season.

Days like this takes me back to when I was younger. The same associated sensations today are the same I experienced while standing outside in the neighborhood watching a black sky to the west as the anvil would spread out overhead. Strong, humid southerly flow would add to the energy of anticipation in the air. Something big was about to happen.

NOAA weather radio would crackle with the coordinates of a tornado watch. I'd carefully plot those with pins and string on a Texas/Oklahoma road map affixed to the wall. I would track and plot severe weather warnings with colored pins according to the warning. There was no internet with live data feeds back then...all done through NOAA weather radio. My only live nowcaster was the late, great Harold Taft on Channel 5 with his trusty radar and expert, grandfatherly vigilence. That was the only radar I had.

Once I determined my neighborhood was in the path, I'd grab a ladder and scramble to the rooftop and watch the spectacle of mother nature unfold before me. Sometimes I'd ride my bike to the top of a hill to get a better view. It was the best show on earth. I'm also lucky to have not gotten zapped by a CG. :-)

2007 is the first time I've had the same sense of anticipation and giddiness as a severe weather enthusiast and stormchaser in many many years. Being stuck in North Texas for the past decade, I'd suffer through each chase season with plenty of disappointment and frustration as the ridge setup early deflecting the storm systems into the central plains. Too often we were left capped... high and dry.

So, now being in the middle of the great Texas Panhandle combined with a very active 2007 season, I feel like I've undergone a rebirth of sorts. But, I'll stop there before I get too transcendental, wearing beads, growing my hair long, going barefoot, voting Democrat and smoking tumbleweeds. ;-)

Today, instead of the black sky to the west, I watch model runs with the same sensation and level of giddy anticipation. Enter the 12z model runs this morning. :-) Everything is appearing to come together for some extended back-to-back severe weather events. It might even start as early as Thursday, but Friday-Monday look great each day...at least this far out. The dynamics, moisture forecast, everything looks like it will be there. It's what I wait for all winter long and endure the teasing early spring systems. May is here and I'm ready to chase like they do on the Discovery Channel! A happy dance indeed! The Forbidden Sacred Dance Of Chaser Merriment has ensued!!

Is it Thursday yet? ;-)

Labels: , ,


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you gotta work many of those days eh?

Tue May 01, 06:08:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Charles said...

First Day of May!!! To bad I live in the new shit hole for stormchasing! Guess I will be making the 6 hr drive this weekend to see some storms!

Tue May 01, 07:57:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Yep, that's it... that the Happy Dew Dance. ;-)

Tue May 01, 10:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I'm taking Monday off. I deserve it. I can think of no other better way to unwind than putting myself in the path of a raging, berserk tornadic supercell from the bowels of hell. :-)

Charles, don't think of it as a 6 hour drive....but more as a holy trek to the Mecca of Tornado Alley.

Wed May 02, 09:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Bob Hall said...

At least the roads to chase Mecca are good. The free roads in Texas are better than many of our toll roads in the tornado-less territory known as Oklahoma. I’m looking forward to the inaugural performance of the “Forbidden Sacred Dance of Chaser Merriment.”

Wed May 02, 10:34:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

No, it's "Riverchase"..Lord of the storms! Always wondered what the "Happy Dew Dance" looked like. O....K...then.....;-)

Wed May 02, 05:24:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUst dont let work get to ya man. Think sloshing dryline for 4 days!!! Just 2 more days.

And thanks for the help with the GR3. Its all good now. I bit the bullet after I called you today and now have the new cingular G3 card. what the hell. :)I couldnt wait for the team to have my wireless

Wed May 02, 08:52:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way I hear thunder outside.. Nice big rumbles.. ah the smell of may in the panhandle:)

Wed May 02, 08:52:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys get a load of those capes on Saturday off the Dryline? One model was depicting 5000 near Childress (which I suspect will be back further west given the model bias this year to push the dryline out east too far)

5000...I can't remember the last time I saw CAPEs like that.

Thu May 03, 12:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Ugh. Things have been nuts the past couple of days. I've got Friday off and after talking care of some business, I'll be headed towards Liberal and Dodge City area most likely...depending on model runs this evening. :-) I am digging the instabilities progged this weekend. I hope the 00Z models this evening are in a little better agreement and "sense". I'll ramble about it this evening before hitting the sack early.

Thu May 03, 05:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Be safe! Don't scare them all away. 5000 CAPES???!!! That rocks!

Fri May 04, 08:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Thos storms dont stand a chance...;-)

Fri May 04, 08:50:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't stand it, I am going to have to take a chance the cap will hold down my way and head to SW KS. Too good of a setup there to pass up.

If I get Millered someone owe's me dinner.

Fri May 04, 09:50:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home