Friday, April 20, 2007

Chase Report - April 20 - TX PH

What a great chase today! Remember that minor impulse I mentioned earlier that SPC pointed out? The RUC was off on location, but had the right idea of breaking something out. I really think I'm gonna love living out here. :-) I think we can put away the 2x4! LOL!!

I grabbed a storm by the tail as it started developing WSW of Kress and I didn't let go until Canyon. Other teaser cells were really small LP storms with very little, ragged bases and pretty robust updrafts. I knew it was just a matter of time before a little better moisture worked in and a cell latched onto the other storms' outflow boundary. Soon, a broader, more solid base developed and the show soon began. It never looked ominous on radar, but that's what I love about LPs! And what a great one this was!!

Also, on a VERY curious note, I let the base of a newer cell that developed pass overhead near Canyon. It was prety cool looking and striated...but too close for a pic. However, I noticed this plane flying towards the center of the updraft. I thought I was going to witness a crash. It looked as if he was making a turn to avoid it...and then turned back into it!!! He kept flying from one end of the updraft to the other crossing it in the center! Then, right above me, I saw a bunch of sparks shoot out from behind the plane. It dawned on me that this was some sort of seeding project. He kept this up for a good while....about 45 minutes at least. So, ya'll keep an eye out for this. I really want to know what his purpose was up there. Don't be goin' 'round messin with my supercells. ;-)

I'll ramble in the morning about the BIG event tomorrow. Lubbock to me is a pretty obvious target...but up to Amarillo is also in the hot seat. It's the "triangle" As Jay put it. :-) I seriously hope that the tornadoes stay out in the open fields. Okay...okay...some pics from today!!!

Dig that groovy upside down convection or "big gorilla knuckle" on the left.


Come on, baby! Spin!


Oh....my....


Trying to barber pole and stack some dishes.


Can you say "stormwood"?

Ok, this is just nuts!! Stormgasm!!


There's some puddin' for ya! (with respect to the Outlaw Chasers!)


I cracked up at this sign north of Tulia! LOL!!! Yes, the thingies on top were rotating!!


Ok, this is one of the oddest and coolest updrafts I've seen. Check out the little needle funnel on the right!!


Last picturesque shot before it quickly fades away.


The new updraft SW of Canyon...the one that crazy cloud-seeding pilot played with.

Labels: , ,


4 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

I tell you what, when you chase, you chase. I am personally hanging up the 2X4. Your pictures are amazing. I have never experienced anythikng like those updrafts personally... definitely stormgasm material.

Sat Apr 21, 12:52:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was pretty from a distance too. You suck! Nice pics. Enjoy the squall line today! hehe

Sat Apr 21, 08:14:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WSelomce to "panhandle magic" Steve!!

There is nothing in this world quite like a beautiful high plans LP to get the juices flowing. Only place in the world to see that. :)

Great pics as usual!

I would have loved to been under it but at least I got to go out on wx watch as it apporached the city. Got me out of dispatch anyway.By the time it got to me it was falling apart and moving east of the city.

Now for the fun to really begin today! Off at noon and by 1230 Kanani and I will be ready to roll. Now to choose a target.

Sat Apr 21, 08:20:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

If people in our part of the country saw one of these?? It would be chaos..I caught a small Hp on video passing right over where I live at. When I say small I mean small..LOLOL...they are rare to see down here. so much rain and low cloud bases.

Sat Apr 21, 09:54:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home