Friday, April 13, 2007

TODAY!!!!

1830Z Update: It appears that indeed things are progressing eastward more. It is definitely out of range at this point. LOL! An isolated cell in Haskall County is now tornadic...so it begins. At least I'll be able to armchair chase later. I thought I might have a chance to catch something near Childress, but that isn't looking likely. Oh well. Good luck to all out there today! I'll catch the next one.

1700Z Update: Swamped at work as I try to get out the door. I compromised and will be coming in Sunday. :-) Anybody trying to call or email me, I'm not ignoring you...just super busy and hectic today. My target area is still the same....focusing more on the "380 Corridor". I also have to have a conference call with my CPA before I finally get down the road. I'm not sure how long that will take. I hate April 15th. I just hope I can get down there in time and I'm starting to fear that I may not. That's ok...not gonna get bent out of shape about it. There are plenty of opportunities in the weeks ahead. :-)

A challenging forecast to say the least. I will start off by saying that I don't think it will be as big of a tornado outbreak as earlier thought. There will still be a few around today and the threat increases very late this evening and overnight down in the eastern half of TX as indicated by SPC. Storms will move into and enounter better instabilities and outrageous SRH values..particularly along the warm front. The main reason for my thinking that it won't be a huge tornado outbreak is lack of strong instabilities today owing to could cover and precip. However, along the warm front, there should be a few tornadic supercells until they move further into stable air and become elevated, but intense, hailers. The question today will be if a storm can root and move along the warm front.

Right now, my thinking is that the warm front sets up around the 380/I-20 corridor which if course is BAD news for the greater DFW area. I'm really concerned and hope that everybody there is on guard. I know alot of people there won't be of course. The level of complacency and ignorant bliss combined with the fact most folks are much more concerned with missing the next episode of "American Idol" than learning of a tornado in the next county is a recipe for disaster and thousands of stories of "it hit without warning". I certainly hope that today is not the day for a harsh reality check. Another HUGE concern is the big race weekend at the Texas Motor Speedway between Fort Worth and Denton. There are tens of thousands of people there and not too many places to seek appropriate shelter out in the middle of a large rural area. Man, that is a truly scary scenario. But, I'm rambling and ranting...so I'll move on.

The latest RUC indicates a surface low reforming rapidly around Childress by 00Z which is also supported by last night's NAM. The cold core aloft moves over that area creating incredible lapse rates and pretty good 0-3km CAPE in a narrow corridor along the warm front. Importantly, a stout dry punch noses into this area impenging on the warm front. The dry slot will have low level lapse rates approaching 10C/km. With the mid level jet forecast over this area, it is the preferred daylight target for me. It's not a perfect cold core setup, but pretty darned close.

My target area? It's kind of broad right now as I wait for further data to see where the surface features setup. I'm picking Childress to Abilene to Weatherford to Wichita Falls back to Childress. I'm leaning towards the NW part of this area closer to the cold core....Paducah to Seymour to Vernon. The trick is getting out of work in time. :-)

More later......

7 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

Oh, they're good AI doesn't come on until Tuesday...lol

PEOPLE, TURN ON YOUR WEATHER RADIOS... THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!

Fri Apr 13, 10:56:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY STEVE!!!! You in Lubbock! At least I feel safe seeing that Shawn Kemp is an official Channel 4 StormChaser--LOL! Saw him on a TV commercial the other night!!! I've given up chasing so I can stay home and listen to Fox 4 NEws with Shawn leading the way!!!

Fri Apr 13, 01:40:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

I just phoned in my vote for the tornado!

Fri Apr 13, 01:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Next time... darn.

Good news though, you have until the 17th this year. ;-)

Fri Apr 13, 02:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Glenn said...

Blair, long time no chase.

Steve is in Amarillo.

Please tell me you are pulling our legs about Shawn!

LOL

Fri Apr 13, 07:07:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Wow...what a heckuva day, eh? I think Rick's candidate won. LOL!!

BLAIR! Long time no see, compadre! Amarillo...Lubbock..it's all the same...God's country. :-) I got up here a couple of months ago. I figured if I wanted to extend my life expectencey, I really had to. ;-) Shoot me an email and let me know how the family is doing and what you are up to nowadays.

Now back to the taxes...ugh. Thanks Dew for the reminder of the 17th. I thought it was the 16th. Here is why:

"Taxpayers will have extra time to file and pay because April 15 falls on a Sunday in 2007, and the following day, Monday, April 16, is Emancipation Day, a legal holiday in the District of Columbia.

By law, filing and payment deadlines that fall on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday are timely satisfied if met on the next business day. Under a federal statute enacted decades ago, holidays observed in the District of Columbia have an impact nationwide, not just in D.C. Under recently enacted city legislation, April 16 is a holiday in the District of Columbia. The IRS recently became aware of the intersection of the national filing day and the local observance of the new Emancipation Day holiday after most forms and publications for the current tax filing season went to print."

Fri Apr 13, 08:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

No problem, in my other life, I happen to be an accountant...

Fri Apr 13, 09:21:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home