Monday, June 05, 2006

Chasecation Finale

My shortened chasecation excursion for 2006 is over with. I made the long drive home yesterday from Goodland, KS believing that the rest of this week would produce only marginal events similar to most of my past week on the plains (less the incredible May 31 haboob I experienced). On day one of returning to work, I see the new SPC Day1 and can't help but laugh at the sadistic side of mother nature combined with the piss-poor model performances...even 24 hours out. Tomorrow and even a couple of days this week look great for upslope storms in CO.

I regret not sticking it out and deviating from my more optimistic nature. However, after four days in a row of marginally strong storms (even with the brief needle funnel on 6/3)....driving what seemed like a thousand miles each day....seeing dewpoints crater every day as afternoon mixing ensued.....and very poor model performance 24 hours out....it can wear you down into quite the pessimist. I was tired and just couldn't justify staying out any longer burning precious days off from work along with burning money for gas and rooms. I also have an obligation to my very gracious and excellent employer that allows me the means and flexibility to pursue my favorite hobby. Since I just started a few short months ago, I was really stretching my responsibilities.

So, it seemed the prudent choice to come on back early and sneak out later this month for a weekend chase if things improve. I don't think the season is over with yet and today's setup is proof of that. If not, then I'm looking forward to next year. I've had a very good season considering 2006 among the most dismal chase seasons ever. I'll let those more concerned with tornado counts and stats/medals/awards/stripes figure out my proper ranking. ;-) However, I think it should be somewhere between "Centurion" and "Praefectus Castrorum" (click here if you don't get it) or for the D&D fans...."ChaseWizard Level 7". ROFL!

The highlight chase was of course the 5/31 E CO haboob with a tornado that appeared to be on the leading edge of "forward flank" of the storm. However, radar showed a hook (which was visually apparent...look at my pics) and strong shear marker and I was told later a small but pronounced couplet on GR3 indicative of a forward flank mesocyclone and resultant tornado. I hope to find some good radar images of this event and put everything together into a more cohesive case study. I got some great video of at least one of these tornadoes. It was a fascinating event and my first "forward flank tornadoes" (or hybrids....whatever your preferred terminology...they're still tornadoes).

The other good chase was 5/30 W OK with a slowly southward propogating supercell along the TX/OK border. This storm tried to go tornadic several times, but the outflow was just a tad too overpowering. It was a great storm though with a good CG show towards the end. I tried photographing the lightning with a couple of hours of daylight left. I tried a neutral density filter and cranked the f stop up to 22 with ISO of 100 which seemed to work. I should have used the manual shutter more though. I learned a couple things for the next pre-dusk event.

Lastly, the little surprise event south of Goodland on 6/3. These high based storms erupted near the surface low and along the dryline immediately to the south. I got a nice little needle funnel out of it and saw what might have been a brief attempt at a landspout. However, this storm didn't hold together for long and the "climax" was extremely short.

I also got in plenty of sightseeing (more than I wanted to actually...LOL!) and discovered the mountain areas west of Trinidad, Colorado. This is very high on my list for an extended camping excursion sometime in the future. It's hard not to think about that now here in the hot, muggy and hazy north Texas skies I sit in now. ;-)

For the details of each day of my chase excursion, click here.

Okay....back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home