Thursday, November 06, 2008

Getting Old Sucks

All of my life, I've enjoyed good vision. But in the last few years, I've noticed a slow deterioration of my near-sight. Arms-length and further is still excellent. Over time, I started reading stuff a micrometer further away. It was subtle and stealthy, as most aging effects are. But, the past few weeks of spending ALOT of time in front of the computer AND reading books and other material, it started becoming much more apparent. The strain really caused it to get worse. Buying groceries last week, it was quite a chore to get a clear focus when reading the small label print of product ingredients. I can't afford to screw up my eyes (who can?) and it was hindering my work. Enough was enough.

So, I finally broke down and bought some reading glasses today. I spent alot of time picking out the right strength and found some books and magazines, and even a couple of canned goods to test it thoroughly. What a HUGE difference!! :-) I've done a little reading today and some computer work. My eyes feel alot more relaxed and everything is so much sharper. I should have done it sooner, but my defiance of the inevitable made that impossible. ;-)

I suppose a trip to the optometrist will be in the cards soon, dammit. Oh well, I still have along time before ending up with a cane I guess. ;-) Here are some pics with the new four-eyes look. LOL!! (Am I starting to LOOK like an old person? Yikes! wait...don't answer that...)



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, between my probable arthritis in my wrist and your bad eyesight, we need to begin a senior citizens SDS party from now on.

Actually I've noticed my eyesight dwindle in the past year or two. Maybe I also need to visit an eye doctor for a checkup.

Fri Nov 07, 05:59:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

soooo the truth comes out. You thought I looked like an old person with my glasses! heh

Fri Nov 07, 08:51:00 AM CST  
Blogger Dann Cianca said...

Lookin' good, buddy! :)

Fri Nov 07, 12:54:00 PM CST  
Blogger Glenn said...

How painfully familiar.....

Fri Nov 07, 02:13:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It happens to the best of us Steve. I've noticed mine getting worse and worse as I sit in front of a computer all day every day at work. The LCD's help, but not a ton.

The positive is that you look fine with your glasses!

Sat Nov 08, 07:16:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason I wont even ask about the arthritis in the wrist and bad eyesight except to say you have been a bachelor tooooo long :)

Steve the glasses look fine. At least they are only for reading and you dont have to wear any to see the storms you are killing :)

Sat Nov 08, 11:52:00 PM CST  
Blogger Lanny said...

Damn, you look worse than I do!! lol lol
No....just kidding.
Get time, check my latest blog out
Best,
Lanny

Mon Nov 10, 02:26:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home