Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring Thaw & Pics Of The Week

Today was a very pleasant day across the Panhandle. Clear skies and light winds with mid temperatures are a nice change from last week's winter onslaught. The trees are budding out now with a few ornamental pear trees showing some white blossoms. Other trees are starting to show some early signs of renewal as well. All of this is not good for my flaring SDS symptoms. :-)

So, naturally, I'm beginning my daily ritual of perusing model data looking for signs of convective activity. It is looking pretty likely that the action cranks up late this weekend and the first part of next week. As is typical this time of year, it looks like a classic "I-35" setup due to moisture and a strong, progressive upper level system. Folks in the eastern half of OK and alot of the eastern half of Texas could be in for quite a show. For the panhandles and West Texas, it looks like a pretty volatile setup Sunday regarding wind shear profiles and surface features, but a tyipcal meager moisture setup with dewpoints in the 40's. I'll keep monitoring it for sure, but this is very typical for March, so I'm not holding out much hope. However, even some thunder and lightning would be nice. :-)

Since it appears to be a dull week ahead (unless you follow the daily soap opera episodes on ST and wx-chase), I thought I'd post my "pics of the week". ;-) These are from the archives of my awesome June 12, 2004 chase...the "Mulvane" event. These pics were taken with my crappy 2mp camera. What I would have given to have had my digital SLR.

This is the "Mulvane" tornado as it first appeared. It's amazing to watch the transformation both in appearence and color contrast.


A few minutes later...


The classic Mulvane white tornado as it approaches a homestead.


Seconds later as it bears down on the homestead.


In the process of tearing apart the homestead.


Rope out.


In one of the most bizarre events of this supercell, a tornado is spawned on the WEST side of the supercell and the main hook. On radar, this was a secondary hook on the backside under another big updraft separate from the main one to the southeast. This tornado moved from east to west...opposite of the bigger tornado earlier....AND with the parent supercell moving slowly east.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making me sick man!! Cant believe I had to work that day :(

As we get further and further into March I am getting more excoted about our 1st chase. the next 15 weeks are pure chase environment. Cant go 1 day without checking the SPC and the models. Cameras are charged and truck is just waiting for me to top off the tank and hit the road. Just the sight of a good updraft and a few claps of thunder would do wonders for my sanity.

Tue Mar 11, 10:55:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home