Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May 4, 2007 Arnett, OK Video

Here is what I was able to put together. My video operation isn't the best since I started off with no tripod. I should have spent the extra 30 seconds to set it up. So, I apologize for the initial shakiness. I also seemed to have stopped recording for an agonizing 3-4 minutes. It happened right when a nice chunk of hail hit my camera handle near the record button. As strange as it may sound, I think it might have actually hit it! LOL!! I thought I was rolling the entire time I went back to grab the tripod. Anyway, that explains the time gap. Other than that, I clipped the better video segments to keep this down to about 5 minutes in length. It's nothing fancy at all and a very rough, quick edit. I'm getting lazy. ;-)

Smaller Windows Media Player format: CLICK HERE

A larger version in mpeg: CLICK HERE

Labels:


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That storm was one of the most increrdible LP's I had ever seen. What did usprise me was the strength and violence of the rotation considering how long the funnel was and it being an LP.

I havent even looked at my video from that day..lol.. Guess I should.

Wed May 16, 11:44:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

It looks like one of those "perfect storms" where everything was in perfect balance. it's not often you see a perfectly straight and vertical tornado last that long. I'm convinced that it latched onto a boundary....likely a combination of the outflow from the first storm and this storm's FFD outflow. The precip core was thick and close to the updraft and then like magic (just as the tornado started forming), the precip core thinned out and moved further downstream. This updraft area just appeared to stop. Could this have also been a meso low on the dryline?

All I know is that this was one sexy storm. :-)

Thu May 17, 10:05:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

...and don't forget that this was a right split. :-)

Thu May 17, 10:05:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home