Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Day's Difference...Chasers Rejoice!

I knew as soon as I went out on a limb with a pessimistic long range forecast, the models would change. It is appearing likely that I'll lose a bet to Jay and have to wear a bright pink shirt on my next chase trip. LOL!!

The ECMWF jumped on this first along with the Canadian model. Now, the 12z GFS is joining the chorus. Starting next Monday, a strong trough comes onshore and by Tuesday, the models advertise some stormchasing nirvana to erupt across the plains. It is a pattern more normal for May and would continue the trend we've seen in the upper air patern for the past several months.

Details are of course unreasonable to try and forecast this far out. But, the important thing I'm hanging my hat on is the "trend" being advertised by the models. I'll wait for a couple more days of model runs to try and gauge the trend to weigh against the solutions offered. At least we'll have something to watch. :-)

From the afternoon AFD from DDC: DAYS 3-7... AFTER A RATHER LENGTHY PERIOD OF RELATIVELY QUIET WEATHER FOLLOWING THE TORNADO OUTBREAK OF 4-5 MAY, WESTERN KANSAS WILL RETURN TO A VERY ACTIVE FLOW REGIME DURING THIS PERIOD. ANOMALOUSLY STRONG HIGH LEVEL WESTERLIES ARE PROPAGATING EASTWARD ACROSS THE TROPICAL PACIFIC AND ARE INTERACTING WITH THE UPPER LEVEL CYCLONE THAT WAS CENTERED NEAR 48N 150W EARLY THIS AFTERNOON. ANOMALOUSLY STRONG NORTHWESTERLY HIGH LEVEL FLOW IS EVIDENT NEAR THE DATELINE ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE DEEP PACIFIC CYCLONE, AND THIS SUGGESTS THAT THE CYCLONE WILL TEND TO DIG INTO THE DEVELOPING LONG WAVE TROUGH OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES. THIS EVOLUTION HAS A NUMBER OF SIMILARITIES WITH SEVERAL PREVIOUS EPISODES OF AMPLIFYING TROUGHS OVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES THAT SUBSEQUENTLY HAVE WALLOWED ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS. THIS CYCLIC PATTERN HAS PREVAILED SINCE AT LEAST LAST DECEMBER, AND NEARLY EVERY EPISODE HAS RESULTED IN SIGNIFICANT WEATHER EVENTS OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS.

THE ECMWF SEEMS TO HAVE HAD A BETTER HANDLE ON DEEPENING THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH NEAR 115W THAN THE GFS RECENTLY, AND THE 00Z RUN OF THE ECMWF LOOKS FAIRLY REASONABLE AND AGREES WELL WITH THE OPERATIONAL CANADIAN. SEVERAL ENSEMBLE MEMBERS OF THE 00Z GFS SUGGESTED A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH NEAR 115W, ALTHOUGH THE OPERATIONAL RUN WAS MUCH LESS AMPLIFIED THAN THE ECMWF. BY 12Z THE OPERATIONAL GFS AND MOST OF ITS ENSEMBLES WERE IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH DEVELOPING A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE ROCKIES BY 00Z TUESDAY. CONVERGENCE OF MODEL SOLUTIONS TOWARD THIS EVOLUTION LENDS ADDITIONAL CONFIDENCE THAT IT ACTUALLY WILL OCCUR.

SEVERAL EPISODES OF THUNDERSTORMS...SOME SEVERE...LIKELY WILL OCCUR AS THE DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WORKS ITS WAY TOWARD THE CENTRAL PLAINS EARLY NEXT WEEK. TIMING OF INDIVIDUAL WAVES IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE THAT FAR IN THE FUTURE, BUT THERE DOES SEEM TO BE SOME AGREEMENT THAT AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL ROTATE OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS MONDAY. INSTABILITY AND SHEAR SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT TO SUPPORT WIDESPREAD THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT, AND SOME OF THE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE SEVERE. BY TUESDAY, A PACIFIC FRONT WILL APPROACH THE CENTRAL PLAINS, AND WIDESPREAD THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD OCCUR ALONG THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY. A DRYLINE SHOULD PROPAGATE EASTWARD INTO THE TEXAS PANHANDLE TUESDAY, AND THERE MAY BE A TRIPLE POINT OVER SOUTHWESTERN KANSAS. THE CANADIAN AND ECMWF BOTH SUGGEST THAT THIS MAY OCCUR. IF IT DOES, THERE WILL BE A LOT OF SEVERE WEATHER WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR MORE TORNADOES IN WESTERN KANSAS TUESDAY.

Me like! :-) I just hope this time around, towns will be spared.

On another note, I'm working on a video clip of the May 4th Arnett tornado. I ran into a couple of snags with my software, but everything seems to be playing nice with each other again after reloading a few drivers and a patch/update or two. Watch for that in the next day or two.

Labels:


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said the ECMWF has been kicking ass and taking names all year compared to the GFS. Hopefully this system will verify and my vacation will be filled with the forbidden dance of chaser merriment (along with a shot of tequila for every tornado which is a chase team tradition). Ofcourse since I am on vacation I have to take the more optomistic view compared to those that have to work on some of those days.

Dont worry folks I will have pictures of Steve in his hot pink shirt for all see and enjoy.:)

Tue May 15, 02:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I've always preferred the ECMWF over the GFS. It's just that both models were being pretty pissy about returning decent mid level flow anytime soon. I think the lesson here is don't bet a hot pink shirt on something more than 7 days out. :-)

I think I'll write on the shirt "I Love The ECMWF". Any other slogans or messages? If I'm going to do this, I want to go all the way. I never do anything halfway. LOL!

Tue May 15, 03:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I just updated the blog with the AFD from DDC. These guys offer great insight into the crystal ball.

I'm starting to feel some SDS coming on about Tuesday. I'll need some time off to recuperate. ;-)

Tue May 15, 03:24:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Steve..I cant belive it...Calvin & Hobbes...(On my blog just hidden by my right arm are three C&H collectable books). A man of true character and integrity.
-------------------------------
Our weather pattern here is really starting to have a vacumn about it. Need something whith some umph! Painfully slow weather progression in effect!

Tue May 15, 10:04:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man talk about a perfect vacation. A few days to relax and get ready thena picnic on saturday and chasing early next week.. OH ya :)

And best of all most of it should be well south of I70!!

Tue May 15, 10:06:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Nice Rick! C&H is one of my all-time favorites. I also like Non-Sequiter, Far Side, The Neighborhood, the old Bloom County, and of course Dilbert which is a daily account of my life in IT/Corporate hell. :-)

And, Jay, no need to rub it in for us poor worker bees. ;-)

Wed May 16, 08:43:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Bright pink shirt??? You'll post pictures, right? Maybe Jay will put them up on his page. ;-) Hope it misses towns, but hope you get to play... send the leftovers this way. WE NEED IT! Cough cough.

Wed May 16, 10:02:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home