Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stormpage Update & Gadget Weeniness

UPDATE: I've got the SURFACE data all fixed up. I've added the UCAR tornado alley overlays and updated the SPC mesoanalysis products..including looping capabilities. Check it out! :-) I'll work on storing the region in cache once you select it. Gotta hit the sack.

OK, I've loaded a partial update to my Stormpage Data section. Just go to my main site at http://texastailchaser.com and then on DATA at the top. I have update the RADAR section to include Cannon AFB near Clovis NM, Pueblo and Denver Colorado. On SATELLITE, I have cleaned up all of the links and included images for New Mexico and Colorado. I've defaulted it to Southern Plains visible images. My next effort is to update the MODEL section and SURFACE - SPC analysis. No timeline on that...just when I'm able.

On the Gadget Weeniness side of things, Jay McCoy, Phil and Kanani are going to be trying out some new technology for mobile cellular internet access through Auto Net Mobile. Avis Rental Cars is installing this and rolling it out to their customers as I speak. The sales brochure states that you will have internet access 95% of the time everywhere you go by accessing all cell towers regardless of carrier. Gadget cost is $400 with a $50/month subscription. No official word yet as to contracts or required subscription length.

I know that Jay and Phil both will thoroughly test this device and service. Phil is supposed to receive the unit very soon. So, hopefully they'll get a good field test with it this season. I hope to be able to report on their testing in another month or so.

While this device is abit late hitting the scene for the chase season, it is definitely something I'll be seriously considering for next season. It would be nice to get rid of Wx-Worx if the coverage is indeed as good as they say it will be. Stay tuned!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

I am interested to hear how that Auto Net Mobile works out. Sounds like a sweet deal... if it works.

Sun Apr 29, 06:41:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Charles said...

That sounds like a really cool product! I would definitly get rid of my Sprint card if this thing turns out to be for real. As far as XM goes I will probably keep that for a while because there are still so many dead spots as far as cell coverage goes even though most maps show complete coverage. Actually when it gets down to it I don't know why I keep any of this shit because I live and chase in Oklahoma!!!

Sun Apr 29, 07:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Holes in coverage is a primary concern. Even with a Wilson trucker antenna, I still end up in small spots where there isn't a signal or data service is not available. It's alot more rare to encounter this, but still requires wxworx as backup.

I saw on the auto net website that there is a bit of a gap in western Oklahoma. So, I agree after thinking about it more to hold on to wxworx until we see how well the coverage really is. Right now, I dropped down to the Fisherman Package for only $30/month which gets me radar, warnings and surface plots. It's a great backup service. I don't need the wxworx shear markers or other stuff when I have GR3 running. :-)

Charles, I thought the N TX curse was bad. But the "Oklahoma Shield" is something to behold. LOL! It's amazing to see repeated opportunities that look good the day before completely fall apart the next day. That has got to be a Guiness World Record entry.

At least Texas is rocking and rolling big time this year. Eventually, climatology will (should) shift this to the I-40 corridor soon. Or, you could always move to Texas or Kansas. ;-)

Tue May 01, 09:54:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heHrQX The best blog you have!

Thu Nov 01, 09:50:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home