Friday, February 23, 2007

Tornado!!!

I intercepted the tornado near McLean today. It was a nice little tornado too with good contrast and visibility. My video was shot from the dashcam and didn't get the better parts of the tornado because of the angle to my north. The edge of the windshield got in the way. I was on a long stretch of I-40 where there are no off-ramps...perfectly timed with the tornado. LOL!! If I hadn't stopped earlier to screw around with equipment, that 5 minutes would have put me in excellent position. But alas.....

I did fire off alot of stills though. I'll post them later if they came out ok. I can at least grab a few video shots if nothing else. I saw a few other smarter chasers that had setup with a great view on the north side of I-40. I passed them by going eastbound while cussing out the lack of any off-ramps for a hundred miles. ;-)

The storms were pretty impressive for late February. Nice, explosive updrafts with some pretty solid cumuliform. With movement 40-50mph, it was tough to stay with them and intercept. But, it wasn't too bad. I stayed pretty much on the back side of these storms which was key today believe it or not. I could see the updraft of the storm get that notch in it and begin to take on a corkscrew appearence. It was pretty cool. I got to see the entire life cycle with good visual. It remained a funnel for awhile before finally snaking towards the ground. I was able to crest a hill with a great view north and could see the "debris" cloud as it briefly touched down. It was mostly just spray from the wet ground...maybe some dirt and grass. It was pretty weak.

Anyway, the microwave just dinged. I'll post what images I have tomorrow. What a great way to start 2007!!!! It is also my first ever February tornado. I love living in Amarillo! :-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Glenn said...

Dear Steve,

I am so glad for you. It looks like your move was timed perfectly and mother nature reached out to hand you a tornado on a platter. I look forward to the pictures.



P.S. you SO SUCK!!!!!!!!

Fri Feb 23, 09:46:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Worship me mere mortal! For I am THE storm god! ROFL!!

So, WHO now is responsible for the North Texas Curse? ;-)

Fri Feb 23, 10:17:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller said...

Easy there big guy, I think we know who the storm chasing god is...
Congrats on a great chase - I'm jealous!
Looking forward to pics!

Fri Feb 23, 10:28:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I guess you're right. I shouldn't spew forth such sacrilege. But then again, I've already been "banished" :-)

I'm just going through the pics and they aren't too bad for shooting 100 ISO in a lower light environment while moving at 70mph. Ahhh...the little things I seem to relearn at the beginning of each chase season.

Good luck with tomorrow's setup. It looks to come pretty close to your neck of the woods. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. I'll be armchair chasing from here in Amarillo and enduring the backside of the system with sustained 40mph winds with gusts 60-70 according to the forecast.

Did I mention that I really love living here? LOL!

Fri Feb 23, 11:10:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller said...

I might hit you up if we head out on this tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Fri Feb 23, 11:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Cool. Always glad to nowcast. It's the next best thing to actually being there. I really would like to be out there in the middle of it myself. It's a long drive back to Amarillo from Missouri. With 40-60mph winds all the way too.

Anyway, holler at me if ya'll go out. I'll be rooting from the sidelines.

Fri Feb 23, 11:26:00 PM CST  
Blogger Bob Hall said...

Congrats, I did't have quite as much success in Weatherford, OK.

www.gobob.com

Sat Feb 24, 05:27:00 PM CST  
Blogger Glenn said...

Well, Amos is in North Texas now..............

:o)

Wed Feb 28, 11:31:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home