Saturday, March 04, 2006

2006 Inaugural System Redux & SA2006

Wow. It looks like Ma Nature next week might be getting as riled up as a few individuals out there over private discussion lists. ;-)

It really does seem like ages since I've seen this type of upper air pattern for Texas and Oklahoma. It's a major shift compared to what I've been accustomed to in the past with early season ridging deflecting the systems up into Kansas. Maybe...finally...we'll actually have a chase season south of I-40 this year. In addition to that, what appears to be shaping up as an active pattern for the next couple of weeks is good news for some significant drought relief for my fellow Texans.

The GFS and ECMWF are pretty much in sync at this point with the ECMWF looking a little stronger, deeper, and a tad slower. I'm going with the slightly stronger trend of the ECMWF as these systems often end up being stronger than advertised this far out.

Therefore, with it still being early March, there will be lots of broad, strong vertical ascent with this system and stronger linear VVs. It appears to me anyway that it will be one heckuva squall line generator as well as producing a large rain shield with embedded storms out ahead of it. At least this is what I think the main mode will be. On the other hand, it's a very potent system and on any given day, we could certainly get a favorable setup such as an exiting early morning impulse clearing things out along and ahead of the dryline in time for max heating. That's pretty much Day 1 stuff though. No harm in fantasizing though. LOL!

I've got the new laptop ready to go including a new install of StreetAtlas 2006. The voice recognition feature does seem to be an improvement over previous versions. After about a 10 minute training session to get it familiar with my Texas accent, I gave it a test drive yesterday while commuting. I was quite impressed with it's reaction and performance. It also looks like some serious updating to the road networks. I just sampled a few locations I know of and they are now up-to-date. However, the "Illinois Bridge" along the Red River still isn't there, but at least 661 leading up to is there now...except it shows it dumping into the Red River. A personal favorite is a one-lane bridge I know of east of Denison (the "Jefferson Bridge") is now displayed. Although some of the FM roads in Texas are now colorized I'm still disappointed that several show up as plain side roads. It knows they are FM roads because if you hover over it, it says it's an FM road. A note to the programmers: if(roadType == "FM") { roadColor = "orange"} else {roadColor = "gray"} LOL!

Well, off to finish prepping the vehicle and cameras as well as the fishing gear for hunting some monster largemouths (no...not irate chasers) on Ray Roberts tomorrow!

A note to my personl fan club members: I've joined yet another super-duper-secret elitist discussion list. We even have a secret chaser decoder ring and handhsake. Hurry!!! Rally your troops to defend the stormchasing world!!! I need to be ferreted out exposed!!! ROFLMAO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home