Saturday, June 06, 2009

Zeus' Panhandle Rampage

Wow! After a prolonged drought of lightning photography opportunities, the storm gods unleashed an electrical hellstorm across the region the likes of I've not seen in years. I shot about 200 lightning images!!! Every cell that popped up was a prolific CG producer starting right at sunset. Prior to that, the action was pretty anemic. I haven't a clue as to what caused the atmosphere to start going nuts with lightning. Amazing.

I initially got on the first storm in Oldham county prior to it going severe. I had considered going north to the first severe cell in the OK PH, but I stuck with my analysis and forecast. The storm took on some very nice structure and looked like it was going to be a real brute. It waned abit (but still severe) and at one point became a high based, laminar storm of the most boring proportions. I almost went home, but I kept reminding myself of the instability and helicities/EHI values east of Amarillo that it would soon move into.

Following it to near the Pantex facility, it finally started to morph and look alot more menacing. Later by Panhandle, the CG barrage started cranking up as did the storm itself. It was a perfect setup with the setting sun creating a nice palette of colors as a stunning backdrop for the intense electric-blue CG bolts. As I let the storm move away to the east, I started focusing on a new area of CG barrage to the west from a new cell popping up. Then, I noticed on radar my original storm was quickly organizing into a serious supercell with a TVS on it.

One look at radar instantly screamed at me to book east towards White Deer and Pampa (and avoiding the massive hail core on Hwy 60). As I did, I got a good look at the new updraft base...my jaw dropped. It was a rounded, bowl-shaped multi-striated updraft!! Yowsa! I was still SSW of the hook when the tornado warning was issued. Dang my luck!! Spotters confirmed a tornado somewhere within a stone's throw to my NE om the other side of the intense hooking core. I talked to the sheriff later on who saw it as well...a nice cone shaped funnel. Ugh! I finally got into excellent position ESE of the hook, but the tornado had long dissipated. I was still hoping to catch another attempt and get my first good night photo of a tornado. No such luck. I did get to stand in awe of the incredible striated bowl shaped updraft overhead being illuminated by lightning.

The tornado warnings were still ongoing and now included the newer cell to the west. I got into better position for this one east of Groom, but it didn't produce...as far as I could detect. At one point, I thought I could faintly make out a large dust plume under the updraft, but believe it was likely RFD dust getting kicked up. Both cells continued weakening below tornadic thresholds, but the CG barrage didn't!!!

I managed to setup and capture LOTS of lightning photos. Some were abit out of focus or my camera shifted thus cutting off the horizon. A few did not have the correct ISO/aperture. This is in part of trying to hurry around and find a good spot as well as sitting in the car with my tripoded camera outside. The cable release was threaded through the window. :-) The CG activity was that intense and wicked! My ham radio antenna was crackling with static electricity. I didn't want to get fried by a CG bolt.

I am quite happy and fortunate to have had everything come together as it did. Good lightning photo opportunities AND situations are rare. You have to have the right storm (not moving very fast, lower precip, LOTS of continuous CG activity), good, flat open terrain (thank God for the Panhandle!), good places to setup away from annoying light sources such as cities or big security lights, road networks and dirt roads to park (dirt...not mud pits like I found alot of), AND on a non-work night or at least close enough to home.

The only imperfect aspect was the only decent dirt road I could find had power lines in the way as you will see in some of the shots. I ran around like crazy trying to find a good road and they were either very muddy, lots of tall grass, weeds or shoulders blocking the view, or had a big annoying light source in the way. I didn't have alot of time to explore. :-) I shot most of the night shots on Hwy 70 just about 1-2 miles north of I-40.

Overall, I'd say about 50 photos were well worth keeping and processing. Out of those, I've selected the jewels of the bunch and posted them below. Some had some rain droplets on the lens, so I had to spend alot of extra time photoshopping those out. That and editing out all of the hot pixels along with regular processing has taken up a good part of the day today, but well worth the effort. My camera has really been through hell and taken many thousands of pictures. The sensor is starting to have more hot pixels show up in my lightning images. I hope to have a new camera soon. :-)

Lots of images here, but wanted to show off my best ones.... a hard decision to make just to get it down to these! Some of my best lightning photos to date. I'll post my 5/4 images later down the road as these 5/5 pics blow those away. Please note the the quality level of the pics below was intentionally "punked" abit. The quality of the originals is much better. :-)

The first four images were shot near Panhandle. I could not have asked for any better a setup right at sunset!


The CG is in fact part of the big bolt above it.
















I really liked this shot with all of the CGs staggered along in a row as if in formation.




You can make out a couple of big water droplets on the lens at the bottom of the image.



12 Comments:

Blogger Beau Dodson said...

Great photos. I would love to hear what your camera settings were for the better images?

Sat Jun 06, 11:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

The first sunset pictures were with ISO 100 and f14-20 with no more than a 13 second exposure.

The other night shots were ISO 100 with f4-11 depending on how close I thought the bolt was going to be. I inadvertantly had ISO 200 from an earlier attempt to catch illuminated storm structure. It caused the bolts to be a little blown out and the image more grainy. With some shutter speeds of 20-24 seconds, the graininess was a bit much for my liking.

On the other hand, with ISO 100, the bolts have to be pretty close and bright to do well with higher f stops (but SO worth it when you do catch one!). Lower stops of like f4-6 tend to create some "fine hair" focusing issues at night which have caused me to screw up some great shots.

So, I try to get as close to the action as possible. I'm starting to consider those little remote shutter controls. :-)

Sun Jun 07, 01:19:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous David Drummond said...

Holy crap dude! Incredible! Reminds me of that day I got last year over Lubbock, it just wouldn't stop! Very very nice shots! I expect prints! LOL

Sun Jun 07, 01:34:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are awesome.


-brandon

Sun Jun 07, 05:45:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous JayM said...

Incredible shots Steve. Wish I hadnt been stuck in town on duty but at least while waiting for a wreck or fire I was able to go out north of town and watch some of the light show. The ch.10 towers took at least half a dozen strikes. Best light show I have seen in the panhandle in years. I say at least 75% of the lightning was CG. Non stop bolts with good branching. Incredible night. Ya bum!!!!!

Sun Jun 07, 08:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Beau Dodson said...

Thanks. I always like hearing the ISO numbers and additional information. Great photographs!!!

Sun Jun 07, 10:26:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Dan R said...

Great stuff Steve!

Sun Jun 07, 12:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Douglass said...

Wonderful work - and yes power lines suck.

Sun Jun 07, 10:54:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great pics Steve! I got to start trying my luck with lightning photos!

Mon Jun 08, 10:39:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks everybody for the warm comments. I'm glad everybody enjoyed them. This was a special day across the Panhandle and one of the reasons I relocated out here. I don't know when Ma Nature will rock out like this again, but I hope it is soon!! :-)

Mon Jun 08, 10:51:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dann Cianca said...

Fantastic shots, SMTX!

Wed Jun 10, 10:17:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous 7t4vw said...

I was in No. California near Sacramento on June 3 when they had one heck of a CG and CC show. They had over 2,000 strikes! Not as spectacular as the Panhandle, but very unusual for that area. All the news stations said they had NEVER seen anything like it there before. Great picts Steve!

Thu Jun 11, 04:51:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home