Sunday, May 25, 2008

Yesterday's Frustration, Today's Anticipation

After oversleeping in Amarillo, I got off to a late start for a long trip to Oklahoma. A spectacular supercell munching along an outflow boundary produced multiple tornadoes. I was in "catch up" mode all day long. When I finally got to Perry, OK, I was able to have a little fun with some rotating wall clouds and rain curtains. The storm soon died though. :-( So, no good pictures to post today.

But, I was able to help out my bud David Drummond whose vehicle was disabled by lightning. He called me up and told me his story and put my "bad luck" into proper perspective. So, his vehicle is in Perry at a dealerhship until they have a chance to look at it next week. He'll be riding shotgun with me the next couple of days. He has no idea....BWHAHAHA! lol! Seriously, it should be fun!

We will be headed to the N TX PH or W KS for today's setup which I really like alot. As usual, my live chase cam will be up and running on my live chase page (link on right).

And a bit of a rant concerning chaser stupidity....

Will the people in the DOW convoy, especially the DOWs themselves GET THE HELL OFF THE ROAD!!!!! If I can get my chase cam archive downloaded and verify what I remember seeing, I'll believe I'll be able to show where one of them was partially on 64 just east of Perry where it is one lane each direction, narrow with no shoulder, AND near a double yellow stripe. This was forcing traffic in their lane to veer into ONCOMING traffic. I had a couple of vehicles (other chasers no doubt) veer into my lane and nearly force me off the road. I'm pissed to say the least.

This shit has GOT to stop as I'm hearing too many stories of the DOW crews doing stupid shit. I'm not just going to bitch about it here in my blog either. "Scientific data gathering" gives you NO specific or special privilege or rights to block traffic or drive stupidly...especially some asshole standing in the middle of the road playing "chaser traffic cop". Rest assured that documentation is and will be gathered. So, knock it off!

I will say though that 99.5% of the time, everybody was cool and courteous...although a bit crowded. That's not a problem as long as everybody isn't being an ass. But, I saw many "locals" out there too even with the kiddos in tow. That's a disturbing trend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the locals out too on your camera, severestudios, and KOCO was talking about them too.

The main thing that came to mind was "those poor people have no idea how dangerous what they're doing is". That perry storm was dropping torandos all over the place. I think the last count I heard was 21. 21 out of that one storm yesterday. Those were the ones that people saw. They were saying that likely there were more in there that were rain wrapped and not visable. That doesn't even begin to account for the lightning risk.

These people don't know what direction the storm is moving. They don't have radar, and likely don't have training enough to know how to stay out of the way. It is indeed a disturbing trend. I don't have any idea how you'd prevent it though.

Jim C

Sun May 25, 11:53:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

I'm not sure what can be done either. I expect that law enforcement will become more proactive in blocking of areas around a storm to stop it. That of course includes us chasers.

I'm afraid though that a big, nasty tornado will catch a bunch of them in a big convergence area and toss around vehicles like toys. It's just a matter of time.

Thu May 29, 09:56:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home