Monday, April 07, 2008

NEW LIVE CHASE PAGE!!!!

http://texastailchaser.com/livechase

UPDATE: I've got the code working now to display my position on the GoogleMap. I am using GPSGate to do that. I need to configure my laptop in order to use GPSGate and all of the apps that run GPS. Wish me luck. :-) If it works, then you'll see my position update every 10 seconds instead of the 2 minuite3s on SpotterNetwork. Headed out shortly with Jay McCoy on I-40.

I've been trying to hatch this thing all weekend. It's my first attempt at using the GoogleMaps API to do something I've had in the back of my mind for awhile. It overlays radar images from the NWS on top of an embedded GoogleMaps interface centered on the radar location along with a radius line of the radar's range. The only problem is that there is no way right now to make the radar image opaque, so it covers up the map. There is talk of enabling that feature soon. The goal is to be able to overlay my current position on the map updated every couple of minutes similar to Spotter Network except with radar.

Additionally, my streaming live video from the field will be displayed on the same page. It is really cool! David Drummond and Steve Miller OK are streaming too. Dick McGowan has done it before in the past, so be sure to watch for his this year as well. Additional streaming video can be found at Severe Studios. It's the wave of the future. ;-)

Back to my little project. I've been working on a bug to update my position on the google map. So, it may not be working for tomorrow's big event. I'm working on that though and it should be running soon...and maybe even by tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Additonal features will include a little blog "ticker" that will update important events in the field and my current thoughts. That will come sometime this week. Other things are in the works, but it's a big, super-duper secret. Beware the guys in suits and sunglasses and speaking into their cufflinks. LOL!!! It's nothing earth-shattering, but some cool little gadgets and widgets as well as some enhancements.

For now, I'm hitting the sack. It looks like a big day tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenn said...

you can overlay radar, spotter network and radar and warning/watch imagery using Google Earth and KML files. I'm doing it on my Mac.

Wed Apr 09, 12:57:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home