Sunday, August 26, 2007

Horsehoe Vortex!

I decided to mosey up to Dalhart yesterday in anticipation of possible Raton Mesa convection firing up and rolling into the NW TX PH under 3000+ CAPE and strong veering profiles. That didn't pan out however as the increasing heights and lack of surface focus kept everything up against the mountains and just marginally severe.

But, on the way up there just north of Channing, I got to see my first real good horseshoe vortex! I've seen small, weaker ones before and small shear funnels as updrafts would shear off from the updraft. However, I've never seen one as in the pics below. They are in fact a fairly rare phenomena considering I always have my head in the clouds and have never seen one like this. ;-)

What causes them? I'm not entirely sure. It does remind me alot of Al Moller's reknowned "garden hose" vorticity demonstration whenever he makes a public presentation on tornadogenesis theories.








I also discovered quite a few sunflower farms too up around the Dalhart area. I had no idea they were grown in this region. It isn't the preferred shot though as they were all facing away from the sun. Still, kind of interesting.


6 Comments:

Blogger Dewdrop said...

I LOVE the sunflowers!!!

Mon Aug 27, 10:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

I can see Steve now...Frolicking through the sunflowers doing his "Chasers Dance of Merriment", with local law enforcement right behind him...;-)

Mon Aug 27, 12:47:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

...and in my pink, frilly leotards too while singing "Tiptoe Through The Tulips". How did you know about that incident? LOL!!!

Tue Aug 28, 07:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Hold on... hold on... working up the visual... Gott get tht one on YouTube. ;-)

Tue Aug 28, 01:32:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it about bright yellow sunflowers against a blue west Texas sky that goes on forever that is so relaxing?

Fri Aug 31, 03:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Dang, you guys, I thought the horseshoe vortex was one of the coolest unexpected things I've seen, and ya'll are frolicking in the sunflowers! LOL!! I think I need to crank the juice up on the ol' SDS Treatment Center CG Simulator on you guys...although David is pretty immune to things like that. ;-)

Wed Sep 05, 10:56:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home