Sunday, April 05, 2009

Wheeler County Fire Video & Pics

UPDATE: Latest details are that 15,000 acres burned and 8 homes destroyed. 26 other structures were also lost. Thankfully, no fatalities or serious injuries. Four firefighters were treated and released for dehydration and/or smoke inhalation.

While documenting the accidents on I-40 due to a blinding dust storm which shut it down in both directions, NWR sounded the warning tones. It was an emergency message for a large fire in Wheeler County and urging people living in Wheeler to evacuate to Elk City. I worked my way onto I-40 where it was open and headed east.

After encountering blocked roads on Hwy 83 north of Shamrock, I weaved around on some back roads to get a better vantage point of the wildfire while keeping an escape route open. Thank goodness for GPS. :-) The sky was thick with billowing smoke as the wildfire raged out of control fueled by 40-50mph winds with higher gusts. It was pretty surreal. I found an ideal place to set up and wait for the fire to approach. I had a good escape route and was able to stay out of the way of fire crews.

The result is some pretty good video of the event along with a few pics. I captured several firenadoes with a couple of impressive ones. I was able to document fire crews in action including graders plowing fire lines. There is even a scene of cows stampeding from the fire. I found a local station, KVII-7, that wanted my video which they ran at the top spot on the 10pm newscast. The good thing is, they didn't expect it for free (a rant for another time).

I was expecting the big tanker planes to swoop in, but the winds were too strong. I understand a couple of them showed up after dark to squelch the remaining fires. However, I did watch a frequent spotter plane flying around overhead and two SEATs (Single Engine Air Tankers similar to crop dusters). A huge round of kudos go to the various volunteer fire departments, forest service and other first responders in battling this beast of a fire. It is truly remarkable that they were able to contain it and eventually gain the upper hand and extinguish it. The lessons of 2006 were well learned.

So, here are a few of the many pics I took. A link to all of the pics and the video further down:

The pileup and poor visibility on I-40.


One truck burst into flames when it hit a vehicle.


Thick smoke billows upward which is clearly seen on satellite spreading well into Oklahoma and towards Kansas.


A firenado spins as a forest service grader works to create a fire break.


Fire crews attack the fire line.


For all of the pictures I took:

http://caprockphotography.com/gallery/7808820_3xUh5/1/505541377_S22QS

And the video:


6 Comments:

Blogger Wendell Malone said...

Great video, especially of the firenados. We have had the same problem here in SE NM with grass fires for the past month now.

Sun Apr 05, 07:31:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Ken Reynolds said...

Crazy video, Steve! Thanks for sharing.

If things don't change soon, I'm afraid that the wildfire situation may get worse.

Sun Apr 05, 08:01:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Jason Boggs said...

Good job with the photos and the video Steve. I was at the station helping out, so I didn't make it out there. I had enough of that in 06 to last a lifetime!

Mon Apr 06, 03:08:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Douglass said...

Great going Steve! Now you are a firestorm chasser!

Wed Apr 08, 05:28:00 PM CDT  
Blogger DM said...

Great photos and video, Steve!

Mon Apr 13, 06:19:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks, ya'll! Fortunately, with the upcoming widespread rain event, it appears the extreme fire threat will subside substantially. I'd much rather chase supercells anyway....much safer! ;-)

Thu Apr 16, 06:01:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home