Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Spinny Thing In S TX and "TEXAS!"

What is that spinning cloud mass with a hole in it down in the southern tip of Texas? A "Convectively Induced Donut"? ;-) I jest of course, but with soooo much attention and blogging about Hurricane Dolly combined with the media assault, talking about it here would simply regurgitate what is already posted out there. A trip to intercept Dolly was in the works, but logistics and timing didn't work out...along with the uncertainty if it would even landfall north of the Rio Grande. Maybe next time.

At least my Oklahoma bretheren posted some cool 3-D radar images. I saw one uber-cool radar image by Dr. Greg Forbes on TWC showing about 4 very distinct and pronounced swirling eddies in the eyewall of Dolly. That was pretty cool. IMpressive rainfall rates too with the slow movement. Dopplar estimates up to 25 inches in one isolated spot with many 15-20 inch amounts indicated with the rain still coming down. Since dopplar estimates in such tropical systems are overestimated, those amounts in reality are probably 5-10 inches less. Still, very respectable rainfall amounts. Major flooding, no doubt.

I was amused by some of the damage to hotels on South Padre Island though. They didn't bother to board up windows, so the video of the lobby was one of total floodage as all windows were blown out. A few hundred bucks for plywood, a couple of thousand for labor, would have saved tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage....not to mention lost revenue as they repair everything. Ouch. Complacency is perhaps one of humanity's greatest faults.

At least that whole drought-stricken area will get some serious relief. Maybe the lakes Amistad and Falcon along the Rio Grande will get a much needed boost.


Jay McCoy, his daughter, my folks and myself went to see the outdoor musical drama "Texas!" at the Pioneer Amphitheater in the Palo Duro Canyon. I was pleasantly surprised in just how good it really was!! The storyline is generally about the struggles and challenges of the settlers in the Texas Panhandle. The storyline was entertaining as were the characters developed in the story. With the canyon walls set as a backdrop and utilized well in the play, it is a spectacle I encourage everybody to see. Truly, this is the only place such a grand production could be presented....as big as Texas. :-) If you are a native Texan with a true heritage as I have, it would be a shame NOT to see it. People from all over the world have seen it...and every night!

The admission fee paid for itself in one particular scene that puts any SDS therapy session to shame. I must include this in future treatment!!! :-) It's the best simulation of an actual thunderstorm I've seen including one big moment. I won't ruin it for you (and Jay, don't tell them either! lol). But you'll thank me for it later. The fireworks dispaly at the end is spectacular as well.

Overall, I came away feeling that the $27 was well spent. I've spent twice as much for rock concerts with half the experience. Since they do allow non-flash photography and even video cameras, I'll be taking my SLR next time and hopefully a better low-light lens. In fact, I might even go again this year if the weather cooperates. It can be pretty damned hot with all the people there and no wind down in the Canyon...even with the sun down. The Big Texan also serves a steak dinner before hand which I'll take advantage of next time as well. It smelled awesome and made me regret not going that route.

That's it for me for now. I'm making another step towards self-employment by parting ways with another corporate lunatic asylum last Friday. I've got some things in the works that I am hoping will work out in the next few months. In fact, I've got alot of things in the works and just waiting for at least a couple of them to work out. I figure my luck can't be that bad for everything to fall apart. :-) I'll detail as much as I can, or want to, as things get rolling along.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shane Adams said...

The "Texas!" production souns very cool. When I was a kid I saw (of course) "Oklahoma!" in an outdoor theater and I have to say, as skeptical as I was going in, I really enjoyed the production. Maybe someday I'll get to witness the Tejas version.

Good luck with the self-employment ideas. I too have been kicking around some ideas (though very small-scale and designed only for supplemental income), so I know how exciting it is to be on the brink of something new, something you control, and something that will hopefully make some money. Anyway, I'm rambling now.

Thu Jul 24, 09:12:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

Congrats on taking that leap away from the "corporate lunatic asylum" you had been enduring. Good luck in your endeavors.

Thu Jul 24, 12:20:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home