Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 "Best Of" Storm Pics

Here are my best pics from the 2008 season. It was mostly a dud for me as everything up until mid June required a long drive from Amarillo to intercept and always on a workday. But, mid June saved the season for me. :-)

I hope to have some video clips before long. I'm currently playing around with the demo version of Sony Vegas Pro 8. I'm leaning towards buying it right now as it seems better than Adobe Premiere. More on that later. Pics!

March 4th in Amarillo. 2-3 inch snowfall. 18 hours earlier, it was in the low 70's! Temps plummeted with sustained winds 35-45mph and one recorded gust of 69mph. Awesome!


March 30th in SW OK. An amazing day with storms moving slowly like a June chase. Chased with Jay McCoy and eventually met up with David Drummond. That evening, we experienced one of the MOST intense and eerie inflow jets I've ever been in. Jay and I later drove though some incredible hail fog and hail banks too.


April 7th In Archer County, Texas. I couldn't capture the mid level bands overhead corkscrewing into the updraft. It was stunning to say the least. I chased with Jay McCoy this day.


April 26 in W TX. Not often you get these types of opportunities. I tagged along with David Drummond and eventually Jason Boggs.


May 23 near Canadian, TX. A breathtaking updraft without a doubt. It would produce a tornado in NW OK near Buffalo...pictured below. Video clips coming soon. Solo chase.




May 31 in S OK. This was one of the most intense supercells at night I've chased. Continual anvil zits, awesome structure and internal illumination from lightning that presented different hues and colors. Solo chase.



June 14th in the Texas Panhandle. Along with Jay McCoy, we witnessed a landspout that did some damage in Claude. They weakend though later and left me with a spectacular sunset. Even non-severe storms out here on the caprock can be awesome. Solo chase.


June 15th in the Oklahoma Panhandle. The "Festival Of Vortices" supercell. I hope to get some video clips of this event loaded soon. Lots of streaming video to NWS AMA. Solo chase.


June 19th in the Texas Panhandle. Incredible storm structure! Solo chase.





June 20th in the Texas Panhandle. Solo chase.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great photos there Steve. I particularly like the 4th one from the top with the lightning strike along with the one below that one of the Buffalo updraft.

We need to get together and go on some photo excursions this fall and winter. I think that would be quite enjoyable!

Wed Jul 16, 02:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger DM said...

I agree with Jason on the 4th one down...incredible structure and then you got a kick ass strike with it!

Let us know how Vegas works out, I have CS3 Premiere Pro and it destroys my laptops CPU and 2 gigs of memory on an XP system I have.

Dick

Wed Jul 16, 10:19:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Thanks, ya'll! The lightning photo was taken while standing next to David Drummond. Jason was there too. It was a wonder we didn't take a direct hit! LOL! (sorry David). I've been trying a long time to get a setup like that. It's pretty darned rare. I was fortunate.

I'll be playing more with Vegas over the weekend when I'll have time to get more into the demo version. I'll really stress test it with several longer clips and do some serious editing. I've got 3 gigs memory and a system geared for video editing...I hope it's enough. :-)

I've got Premier 6.0 and it's been pretty good strictly as a video editor, but sucks on format conversion and of course has no DVD abilities. It's time to step out of the caveman days. :-)

Wed Jul 16, 10:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

And, jason, some photography excursions would be GREAT later on. In fact, I hope you can go with us on a camping/fishing trip or two to Lake Alan henry....excellent photo ops there!

To wit:
http://texastailchaser.com/blogger/2007/09/lake-alan-henry.htm

Wed Jul 16, 10:53:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home