Sunday, June 28, 2009

Amarillo Smack Down

A "pretty good storm" spread havoc across Amarillo yesterday. Downburst winds of up to 70mph and 3-4 inches of rain in an hour resulted in serious flooding and a few trees down. Residential streets turned into whitewater rapids. Major intersections into swimming pools. It's a problem living in a "flat" city.

I started off watching it form and intensify over the Lake Tanglewood area SE of Amarillo proper. The core dump over this area created an impressive rain/dust foot which I caught in the first image below. Yep, I was out in the middle of it. :-) In addition to the wind damage and major flooding, a couple of roads were caved in or buckled. Yowsa!!

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/062809/new_13832189.shtml

http://myhighplains.com/content/video/?watch=1&cid=63761

http://myhighplains.com/content/video/?watch=1&cid=63731

My photos (video to come later):














3 Comments:

Anonymous David Drummond said...

Did I ever show you that video I got when I lived there where they were trying to get that woman and baby out of the car on some streets like that? That was back in 2004 when another big core dump happened and flooded the crap our of Amarillo

Sun Jun 28, 12:15:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am dumbstruck at the fact that people are actually trying to drive through that water!

Sun Jun 28, 07:10:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous brandongreen said...

man im glad i stayed inside.

Mon Jun 29, 10:15:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home