Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 22, 2010 Pics - Incredible Updraft!!

Sitting here in North Platte, Nebraska getting the oil changed and the tires rotated. Today is a sightseeing day as I have no desire to make a marathon drive for a marginal setup in SE Kansas and the Texas Panhandle. Tomorrow is starting to look like a potential classic upslope event in E and NE Colorado.

In fact, I'm kind of excited about it. It's actually a better setup than the past few days as the post frontal return flow is pretty strong with good dewpoints all across the eastern part of Colorado...no more dry air to the south to worry about. Lots of parameters starting to point to a pretty significant event. So, I'll work my way westward today in a tourist sort of fashion. The weather is nice here, so a nice, casual drive with frequent photo stops along the way is the order of the day.

Yesterday, it was a bit frustrating as I got to the cell in NW KS that went tornado warned and even produced a brief tornado. It looked awesome on radar at first. However, I was a bit too far to the west and could never get in front of it. Chased a storm booking north into NE that looked like it had potential on radar. However, west of Norton, I saw a pretty good updraft and cumulonimbus north of Goodland. So, I turned around and intercepted it. I'm glad I did!!!

As it moved north into Nebraska, it started to appear as if it was weakening with a mushy looking updraft. All of the sudden, something happened and it went totally nuts and exploded like the mushroom cloud from a nuclear explosion!! In 15 minutes, it went from a new updraft to an impressive and spectacular LP supercell and showing a TVS in 15 minutes!!! Incredible!!

Although it was tornado warned and a spotter confirmed a funnel cloud, this was about the time I found myself in a river valley full of trees and sand hills blocking my view. A closed road and stalled train really hosed me from getting into prime position. However, the imagery I captured more than made up for that. It's among my best ever storm structure imo.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home