Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mississippi State Meteorology Degree

I've submitted my application for admission to Mississippi State's Meteorology Program!! The cool thing is, it's entirely distance learning....online. I'm shooting for a Bachelors Degree in Operational Meteorology. After my last stint as an Information Technology worker drone and yet another in a series of major disappointments, I just do not see any future for me in IT. I really do enjoy programming, don't get me wrong. However, I cannot find a reasonably sane IT department with competent management.

I've ranted about this before, but being a programmer within a large corporate environment is akin to mixing oil and water. Too many managers get "promoted" to being an IT manager with little or no relevant experience or understanding of the craft and art of developing applications and software. A significant number of managers end up in IT as a sort of dumping ground because it's easier to do that than trying to fire them. After all, in the minds of the upper echelon of management, placing them in IT would do the least damage to the company. After all, why put idiots in charge of the income and revenue generating portion of the company?

Anyway, ranting aside, I simply do not have the stomach for it anymore. There is absolutely nothing in it for me as a future career path. It's really a dead-end path unless I want to try and aspire to a management level. But I would still end up trying to deal with higher ups and peers in management. Simply, continuing on is an exercise in utter futility.

At age 45 (call it mid life crisis...HA), I feel a strong "now or never" urge to do something about it and change course. It boils down to a career in something I'm most passionate about and enjoy more than anything else. I want a career and a job where it doesn't feel like working or daily hair-pulling frustration. After all, if you love what you do, then it really isn't working. I want that. I deserve that. With my health issues finally under control, I'm in great shape mentally and physically to do this.

I'm still going through the admission process which is alot of work. I'm applying for grants, scholarships and financial aid. I've determined that I want to stay employed full time or nearly full time. The online degree plan allows me to work on it evenings and weekends which isn't possible with an on-campus effort. So, I am taking my time to find a proper position as an IT guy where I can really fit in well and work happy. I have no intention of slacking off with whatever position I find. One of my major frustrations has been not feeling productive. But I digress.

This in all likelihood will involve moving from Amarillo, much to my chagrin. But, working on my degree and the future that holds will offset the sadness and regret of relocating from an area I call home. Change sometimes isn't easy, but is made worth it by the reward it will bring.

What will I focus on once I get my degree? I'd like to investigate forensic meteorology as one area. I'm not sure I would want to pursue a NWS career, but certainly won't count it out. I want to pursue something in the private sector.

So, I've got alot of things to work on to get this in order. The first order of business is finding gainful employment and relocating if necessary. I want to move someplace with a good community college so I can complete the core courses and save money. I think I can parallel those courses along with the meteorology courses. I'm waiting for MSU to receive all my transcripts so I can see what credit can be applied to the required core classes. I'm looking forward to seeing my degree plan and what lies ahead. Fortunately, with my acquired knowledge of meteorology of the decades, the freshman courses should be a piece of cake and even the sophomore stuff should be easy and fun.

For the remainder of June, I will be chasing all over the plains free as a bird. This is my last hurrah so to speak before I really hunker down and focus all of my energies into moving forward with everything. When I get accepted, I will be starting the fall semester. Perfect timing. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home