Sunday, June 27, 2010

Exit Stage Left

Yesterday was a big disappointment in NE Nebraska. Storms fired, but were lethagic given the instability parameters and soon fizzled. I think aot of that is because the surface convergence was very weak in relation to a emoderate capping inversion. It did't help wither that the boundary layer flow was roughly parallel to the id level flow creating a unidirectional profile. Plus, I don't believe the mid level inpulse advertised by the short fuse models materialized. Even the hatched tornado threat in southern South Dakota fizzled compared to expectations.

So, now it is time to officially close out the season for me...exit stage left. 2010 has been the best chase season for me personally followed closely by 2005. I'm not into tornado counting, but I've seen close to 20 this year. I've seen some incredible structure as well along with an excellent CG lighning barrage a week ago. 2010 is also the first time since about 2005 that I've felt great physically which makes it alot more fun too.

I'm looking forward to getting back home and focusing on my efforts to get some income rolling in and eagerly preparing to pursue my meteorology degree starting this fall. I should know within a month if I am going to be able to stay in Amarillo/Lubbock or not. One of the advantages of my stormchasing excursion was to check out different areas to live in. To be honest, I wouldn't mind Denver, Colorado Springs, North Platte, Omaha, Grand Island, Kansas City, Wichita, and even Oklahoma City metro area. Fort Worth is stil on my list too for the sole reason of remaining in Texas. Dallas is certainly not even in consideration unless it's around Plano/Allen/McKinney with a stupendous job opportunity.

Now to get up and going this morning from Kearney, Nebraska. I've got a 9 hour drive ahead of me today...and if lucky, see a good storm or two down in Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle along the way. It will be good to sleep in my own bed tonight and in general the comforts of home.

I've got some great images to do some HDR processing on as well as video to compile including some timelapse stuff which I'm eager to see how it turns out. That will help pass the dog days of summer. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home