Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Big "D"

After several years of slowly deteriorating health issues, I finally was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic a few days ago. I've suspected it for quite awhile, especially the past couple of years. The past 6 months have been the worst though.

Extreme fatigue and lethargy were the big issues. I just didn't have any energy most of the time, feeling drowsy alot, reduced mental function such as concentration, focus, and alertness. Sometimes after eating a big meal of the wrong foods, I'd have to take a nap. It was almost like being comatose sometimes, but still awake. I had other classic symptoms too such as slurred/incoherent speech (no, not my Texas accent lol), being thirsty alot, irritability, and mood swings. It also explained that whenever I got any kind of cut or scrape, it would get infected and take forever to heal. I was also frequently dizzy and feeling lightheaded. I knew something was terribly wrong, but nobody would listen.

Since I also suffer from sleep apnea and allergies, plus being abit overweight and out of shape, the diagnosis was almost instantly as something to do with those conditions. Two previous doctors would do simple blood test after I fasted for 12 or more hours. They either didn't carefully look at the results, or else had their nurse do it, or the glucose part of the test didn't register high enough because of the fasting or done at a point in the day where the levels were "normal". So, the final diagnosis from each doctor was to exercise, lose weight, and go back for another sleep study because of my apnea. They even suggested I might be suffering from depression. I was told that they didn't think anything was really physically wrong....translated as "I think you are a hypochondriac".

Part of my problem was seeing family doctors or general practitioners. Somebody finally pointed this out to me and urged me to seek out an internist. I searched around Amarillo and sought advice and recommendations from as many people and various healthcare professionals as I could. One name came up often and with enthusiastic endorsements. Dr. Nam Do.

The first appointment with him, I was impressed and relieved. He spent more than the typical 5-10 minutes other doctors would spend with me. It was apparent that he was not in anyway on a "timer" or in a hurry to move on to the next patient or his tee time. :-) Lost of questions and an in-depth "interview" in which he carefully listened to me. he seemed to have a more aggressive attitude in trying to undercover exactly what the hell was wrong with me. The final result was being thoroughly and carefully tested and screened. By the way, my doctor's office posts all of my test results online through a private web portal. I can see the test result details, normal ranges for each to compare with, and the doctor's notes. Pretty cool.

Part of that test is an HbA1c test (often called just "A1C") which can determine your average glucose levels up to the previous 3 months. You can even buy over-the-counter kits to test for this now, but I'd suggest having a doctor do it. In any event, I showed up positive for diabetes and got the official word Wednesday. I was actually relieved and quite thankful to FINALLY find out. I felt better just knowing. :-)

Now what I'm trying to figure out is just how long it's been bad enough to do damage. I suspect that my rapid vision deterioration in the past two years has something to do with it. My right eye lost focus pretty quickly which, thankfully, corrective lenses has taken care of. I also can't help but wonder if my heart arrhythmia (premature ventricular contractions) diagnosed last year which I've had developing for about 4-5 years might be related as well. It's hard to tell for sure, but I need to watch for other possible effects too in the near future. At least now I have a doctor to help guide me through it all.

The toughest part now is adapting to an entirely new lifestyle. Needless to say that I certainly have the motivation now more than ever. I've thrown out or given away a bunch of stuff in the fridge and cabinets. The education of what I can and cannot have, and carefully measuring meal portions and the associated carbs, sugars, sodium, fats, etc. and then adapting to a schedule of meals is a daunting task. But, I have good resources and help both at work and a dietitian I'll be working with. I'm also discovering vitamin and dietary supplements especially for diabetics. Also, for anybody reading this far, stay away from the artificial sweeteners...even if you aren't diabetic. Splenda is now off my list after doing more research on it. Instead, I'm using "stevia" now as my supplement. Do some googling yourself to find out more about the poisonous artificial sweeteners.

Plus, monitoring my blood glucose frequently through the day is helping me understand how everything I do, eat, and time of day affects those levels. It's been quite interesting so far in that respect...being an IT and data analysis geek I am. :-) In fact, my meter has a download port on it and software so I can analyze to my heart's content...as will my doctor as part of my ongoing treatment.

The good news is that I have plenty of weight to lose...at least 40 pounds and preferably 60. Since my glucose levels don't appear to be off the chart, it looks like my body is producing insulin, just not enough or that my body isn't using it efficiently. Either way, type 2 diabetes patients often control it without medication simply by getting their weight under control and exercising. That is my goal without a doubt.

The reason I couldn't do it before was I didn't know I had diabetes and was always feeling like crap....a perpetual state of illness. Trying to exercise would result in extreme dizziness and very lightheaded as well as no muscle energy. In effect, it was practically impossible. Not so anymore.

Eating the right stuff and monitoring my glucose allows me to keep it down so that I am already feeling more energy and the ability to exercise. In fact, this morning was the first morning I can remember in a very long time that I woke up not feeling like total crap and wanting to sleep in. I am eager to experience more of this as my overall physical condition continues to improve. I'm sure it will be like an awakening and a second life. That in itself is pretty exciting and exhilarating right up there with standing in the eye of a hurricane or watching a beautiful high-contrast tornado plow through open prairie here in the Texas Panhandle. :-)

I am ready to start enjoying life again and all of my hobbies and activities that I have lost all interest and desire in the recent past. I hope that sharing this with somebody suffering from similar medical misdiagnosis to find the right doctor and get the right testing and treatment. I wish now I had been more aggressive in doing so. But, at least I finally did.

I'll be very busy adjusting to and fine-tuning my new lifestyle over the next few weeks. So, my blog will be quiet for a little while longer. But, make no mistake about it, I will be ready for the 2010 chase season soon before it really starts cranking up. In some ways, this will be my best chase season ever. :-)

9 Comments:

Anonymous JayM said...

Very glad to hear that Steve. I was getting worried about how you had changed the past couple years from the Steve I know. Will be great having you back. I know I need to do the exact same thing. I am the worst about going to the doc as you and David know and have been all over my ass about. Guess its time to put up or shut up..lol.

Hope this doesnt totally preclude our wonderful outings at Daves for some awesome ribs. Not sure what is on your can/cant eat list yet.

Now hurry and get ready for the season dude!! Its already started as Jason showed us last week the bum.

Sat Mar 13, 03:03:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Steve,
My wife Lisa is over in Sweden till the summer and the same thing happened to her. type 2 but no meds yet. Like you said "it explains alot" the mood swings ,crinoc pain in the arm ,etc..Plus her hands just drip sweat after eating ,,well just about anything now a days.But they are looking to control it w/ diet and excercise like you.Was very worried about her, thought she was cracking up or something,weird. But I am glad to see that you found the right doctor.Who knows how long it could have gone on w/o you being proactive. I will share your blog w/ her this evening when we skype . Please take good care of yourself. If you were in the area we would surely start an old school metal band just for physical fitness sake,lol.
Take care my friend
Eddy

Sat Mar 13, 04:32:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Jason Boggs said...

Hope everything works out for the best Steve. Just keep motivated to eat right and exercise. I sometimes thought I was getting diabetic because my vision has also deteriorated the last 3 years or so. I also sometimes felt sleepy and lacked energy. Now that I'm on a diet and exercising a lot, I feel much better. Again, if you want to get on a jogging schedule this summer, give me a buzz.

Like Jay said, it's nice having you back my friend! Get ready for 2010! Lets see...Jay says I suck, he says I'm a bum, but I'm 1 up on you guys. I got revenge for me missing the tornadoes at Cedar Hill last year. I'm ready to kick some tail in 2010!!! MUAH HA HA!!!

Sun Mar 14, 04:05:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Dan R. said...

Steve, sorry to hear this, but glad you got it diagnosed fairly early on. This runs in my family and I expect to have to deal with it at some point in the future. All of my grandparents had it and now both of my parents do. The good news is that its impacts can still be minimized when it is managed correctly.

Sun Mar 14, 08:52:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Steve,
Sorry to hear that you are now dealing with Diabetes. I went into healthcare a few years ago and even though I'm not a nurse, you pick up a few things over the years and hopefully with diet and exercise maybe you can be able to keep yourself off medicine. I know it will be tough to go from doing everything and eating everything to watching everything and measuring everything.

Well take care
Wendi

Thu Mar 18, 11:38:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Allan Detrich said...

Hope to see you out there and healthier!

Allan Detrich

Wed Mar 24, 07:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Dewdrop said...

I know it's a dramatic change in lifestyle, but I am relieved to hear that they were able to nail down a diagnosis on you, Steve. There is nothing worse to me than going to doctors who make you feel like you're imagining things or making things up... well, perhaps the "we don't know what causes it" answer. Anyways, I'm glad you have answers and a clear path to treatment. Take care!

Tue May 04, 02:00:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talk about timely and inspiring. I am going through the same thing right now. I officially got the big D diagnosis last month. I have really cleaned up my diet. Still I am trying and failing so far to reduce the portions. Thankfully I am physically active, but I need to be much much more so.

Best wishes to you. Your not alone.

Thu May 06, 04:12:00 PM CDT  
Blogger James said...

Steve just now reading this. Hope all is well with you. I understand the whole Diabetes thing as my young sister had it. Hope your chasing these days and was out yesterday to witness the beast in the Panhandle. I should be out today somewhere in Southern Ok or North Texas.Hope to see you out there sometime its been awhile.

James Clarke
Arlington,Texas

Wed May 19, 03:49:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home