Friday, September 01, 2006

Certified Shocker & Chest Thumper

Motivated in part by the May 9th Collin County tornado disaster, I completed standard first aid and CPR/AED training this week. If you're not sure what AED is, it stands for "Automated External Defibrillators". My certification is good for two years through the American Heart Association. The training was provided by my company which is required by OSHA for operating an AED. I'm allows me to be one of the three designees on my floor to render first aid and using an AED if necessary.

I was kind of hesitant about AEDs in how they worked and how to use them in an emergency. I discovered just how simple they are to use! The training really was nothing more than just a walk through in turning it on, pad placement (which is clearly illustrated on the pads themselves), making sure everybody stands clear, and listen to the AED tell you what to do. It monitors the patient's heart rhythm and it tells you if a shock is needed. It's pretty much idiot proof...even for this idiot. With AEDs costing around $1500 and less, I hope to see more and more of these being installed in public places. Heck, it is affordable enough to carry one with you or keep at home. They have a model out now that is $900 and I found one on eBay for $700. I'm thinking about getting one...seriously.

The CPR training was good. I'm relieved to know it now...especially with lightning being the major stormchasing hazard. I've often feared that a chase partner or another chaser I meet out there would get zapped and I wouldn't know CPR. Being a hundred or more miles from a hospital is not uncommon in our hobby.

They used to teach you to try and find the rib cage and follow it to the sternum as the "target". Now they say just line up between the nipples to start CPR thus avoiding wasting critical time. I had always been hesitant to know how much to depress. The rule of thumb in the training class is that people often don't push hard enough...that it's better to push a little too hard. You need a full two inches of compression to do any good. And, yes, you are going to hear a little "crunching" and "cracking" when you are doing it. It's not unusual to crack a couple of ribs doing CPR. They will heal.

The first aid was basic and applied mostly to what you would expect in an office work environment from minor to modrate injury and various illnesses like diabetes. I need to get some additional training for more serious and trauma-related injuries that would be expected in a tornado disaster. The Red Cross offers these certification classes which was recommended by the instructor of my class this week. It's only $50. I'll be signing up for that soon to round out my training and knowledge. I'll also be buying a good, well-stocked first aid kit to keep in the vehicle too.

I'm certainly no EMT or paramedic by any means and don't intend to be. But, I never want to be in an emergency or disaster situation ever again without having the knowlege, training, equipment and supplies to offer proper aid until the professionals arrive. Then I can help out with the lesser injuries and let the pros focus on the serious stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home