Thursday, July 30, 2009

Glock G23

Well, since my last post, things have calmed a little bit, but still alot in the air. It's simply ending up with a horrible new boss recently. The one I really liked who originally hired me got promoted. But, that's the way my career path has been the past few years, so I'm getting used to it. LOL!! I'll try to tough it out, but I am pursuing a "plan B" at this point which includes leaving Amarillo to find greener pastures. Stay tuned.....

Anyway, I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a Glock G23 pistol. Thanks to some very knowledgable buddies of mine at work (you know who you are), I narrowed it down to this one. The main purpose is for self-defense and a concealed carry weapon. As a .40 caliber, it is more powerful than a 9mm round, but short of a cannon as is the .45 caliber. It is perfect for my needs and for my price range, the best pistol out there in my humble opinion. I also enjoy the peace of mind now should I ever have to neutralize a threat. That could be man or animal. After all, I do end up in some crazy places in some desolate areas of the Panhandles region. Plus, with all of the gear I carry, I'm certainly a desirable target for burglary and theft. And of course, I'll sleep more soundly at night. :-)

I've put 50 rounds through it this evening at the range. It is very comfortable, balanced and natural feeling. In fact, right off the bat, I centered 10 of the first 13 rounds at 15 yards...pretty decent grouping if I say so myself. :-) It is a very accurate weapon. In the future, I'll be adding some accessories to it like a laser and tactical flashlight.

I'm now ready for my Concealed Handgun License (CHL) class in within the next couple of weeks. After completing that, I should expect to get my CHL in about 10-14 weeks and maybe sooner if the Texas DPS can recover from the huge influx of requests the first half of 2009...which equaled what they did all of 2008. Hmmm...could it be because of the Big 'O' in the white house and his loony band of idiots in Congress? btw...know who the #1 gun salesman of the year is right now? Barack Obama. LOL!!!

Outside of self defense, I'm looking forward to recreational use as well. The G23 will easily convert to a 9mm which is cheaper when compared to the .40 ammo. So, going to the range and plinking will be more affordable. I'm also interested in exploring some competitive shooting as well. A couple of groups exist in Amarillo for that purpose should I decide to pursue that down the road.

So, a happy gun owner now. Next up is joining the NRA. That'll be sure to most assuredly establish myself as a right wing extremist whacko nutjob amongst various liberal circles. LOL!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jason Boggs said...

Hey, well have to go shooting sometime. I bought a Springfield Armory 40 caliber last year that I love to shoot. Get with me sometime and well go shoot.

Sorry about the sucky boss. I hope everything turns out ok.

Fri Jul 31, 06:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

So you did go with the 40 cal..nice Steve!!

Mon Aug 10, 10:34:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Steve Miller TX said...

Jason, I'll keep calling you to go shooting with me. :-)

Rick, I love the 40cal and the G23 that shoots it. I'm definitely a Glock fan. The Lasergrips are on it now and all fine-tuned. :-) With it being my primary concealed carry weapon, my next for "bedside security" will be the "Taurus Judge". :-) Other guns are on the horizon for recreational use.

Mon Aug 10, 10:46:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Whoa! The Judge! That's a hoss now!! one awesome gun. Not sure if you know about this site but I turn to it when looking up info when i am preparing for my road trips or keepig track on the latest happenings...www.opencarry.mywowbb.com/

Fri Aug 14, 10:19:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home